Review: Supernatural Season 10, Episode 3: Soul Survivor

Okay, I take back what I said about demon Dean.

While I enjoy his demonic joie de vivre, his antics were WAY out of control (to put it lightly). I’m actually shocked the Dean—even demon Dean—would try to kill Sam. Obviously, that’s the sort of behavior that needs to be dealt with, and I’m glad that Sam and Cas were able to turn him back into a human.

HOWEVER. As I said in my previous review, I don’t think the demons plot is completely done with. I would be shocked if the writers dealt with and dismissed such an important plot line in only three episodes. The Mark of Cain turned Dean into a demon, and as long as he has it, he can be a demon again.

My guess is that the rest of this season is going to be devoted to freeing Dean from the Mark of Cain and dealing with the demonic energy it has the power to unleash.

Setting all of that aside, however, I think this was one of the most dramatic episodes of Supernatural ever. And that’s saying something! It was just so emotionally fraught! Lots of things have tested the brothers’ relationship, but I think few things have tested them as much as de-demoning Dean (say that ten times fast!). Obviously, Dean said some horrible and cruel things. In fact, Dean trying to kill Sam was probably the least upsetting thing that happened in this episode!

Although, Dean hunting Sam through the dark hallways of the bunker with a hammer is certainly fuel for nightmares.

On another (less emotional) note, Castiel’s relationship with the angel Hannah is sort of cute. I don’t know if we can trust her (because, let’s be real, angels are never trustworthy on this show). However, I’m having a hard time caring about all the politics going on in Heaven. I think I’ve said this before, but I’m just sick of all the angel plots. They are neither emotionally satisfying or interesting in my opinion. I know that Cas needs to get his grace back, but, after that, I don’t want to hear anything else about what’s happening in Heaven. I AM DONE.

On the other hand, I would happily watch a show about Crowley being the King of Hell! Who knew that watching bureaucracy at work could be so fun!

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review