Review: Miss Scarlet and the Duke, Season 1, Episode 3: Deeds Not Words

Well, that was DRAMATIC. 

Seriously though, the subject matter of this episode was very serious and sad. To me, the stakes of this episode felt a little more real and genuine. I felt like I really understood Eliza's moral dilemma, and I was also sympathetic to how Margaret felt (although, of course, I do not condone bombing clubs!). In any case, it was the first episode of this show that has kept my eyes glued to the screen the entire time! 

In case you need a recap, in this episode Eliza is hired by Duke to infiltrate a group of suffragettes, which Scotland Yard is suspicious of. Shortly after she joins the group, a man is found dead and the group's leader is implicated. At first Miss Scarlet doesn't necessarily believe that the leader—Margaret—was involved. However, Margaret later tells her that she was forced to kill the man in self defense. Eliza believes her until the Yard uncovers evidence that Margaret is planning to bomb a gentleman's club. The episode ends after the Duke and Eliza arrest Margaret.

First of all, I like/liked the idea of Miss Scarlet getting involved in the suffragette movement. It seems right up her alley, as far as I can tell. As the show has made clear many times, Eliza is a trailblazer when it comes to women in the detective profession. It was also nice to see her teaching her housekeeper to read at the end of the episode. Although, I think most watchers of the show like Eliza already, I think that scene was the writers' way of showing us that she isn't all about herself, as Margaret suggested. In her own way, Eliza is contributing to the women's movement. 

I also was excited to see that Scotland Yard was finally hiring Eliza and giving her the work that she can so clearly do better than them. As Eliza did end up solving the entire case in the end, this will hopefully be the first of many cases that she investigates for the yard. 

I do have to say that I was disappointed with the Duke in this episode. He's always a little rough around the edges, but his behavior in this episode was out and out appalling! He was rude, boorish, and dismissive. Also, the way he dismissed Moses on Eliza's behalf was infuriating. I'm guessing that this was intentional. It's the writers' way of demonstrating the difficulties that Eliza faces as a woman in Victorian England. Although, I think that's been made clear to us in other ways. 

All and all, I think this was the best and most engaging episode of the series so far. As I said above, it hints at a larger, more serious message. What Miss Scarlet is doing isn't just about her or her business; it has wide reaching implications. Margaret's plight was also pretty sobering. Her actions demonstrate the dark road Eliza might have gone down if she had had a less compassionate father. It was a thought provoking episode. 

Plus, it was pretty assuming to see Eliza slap PC Honeychurch. If Miss Scarlet doesn't get arrested at least once an episode, I'll be gravely disappointed. 

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review