Review: Supernatural Season 7, Episode 5: Shut Up, Dr. Phil

Now, THIS was an amusing episode.

In fact, I think it was my favorite episode thus far in this season.

In case you need a reminder, in this episode Sam and Dean arrive in a town in Indiana to investigate some mysterious deaths. They quickly discover that witches are involved and make plans to kill them. However, when the Winchesters arrive at the home of the two witches (who turn out to be married), they learn that the deaths are all part of a marital feud and basically act as marriage counselors instead. At the end of the episode, the male witch manages to save Sam and Dean from a leviathan, which he zaps with his witchy powers.

NOW. I should make it clear that I don’t support gruesome murder as a way of resolving your familial problems, but, in this case, it did turn out pretty well. Plus, watching Sam and Dean try to offer relationship advice while the witches slammed them up against the wall with magic was pretty hilarious. The bees were a nice touch.

I have to say that I originally started off not liking the episode because the deaths were just so gruesome. I don’t normally like witch episodes in Supernatural for exactly that reason. For whatever reason, the witches can never give anyone a gentle, easy death. They all have to choke to death on razor blades or something like that. However, I forgive it in this episode because the rest of it was so entertaining. Although, I have to say that the tiny beating hearts in the cupcakes were kind of a stroke of evil genius. (“There were hearts in my cupcakes! That's never happened before! Hearts in my cupcakes!” was also the best line of the episode; I should hope that was the first time she found hearts in her cupcakes!)

I’m also glad that the Winchesters finally found some way to slow down the leviathans, even though they can’t replicate it themselves. I was getting a tad bit concerned that there was no way to kill them, and I think Sam and Dean were feeling the same way.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review