Review: Supernatural Season 11, Episode 1: Out of the Darkness, Into the Fire

Oh my goodness, THIS SHOW! The drama is almost too much for me. We’ve only had Dean free from the mark for five minutes, and now Sam is infected with some sort of dark, contagious zombie disease. Can they never keep out of trouble???? (That is, if fighting the primordial Darkness that has swamped the world counts as keeping out of trouble.)

All I can say is that Sam and Dean better find a cure pretty quick. I don’t think I can handle another whole season of one Winchester trying to save the life of the other one; it’s too dramatic! Now that Sam has the Darkness disease, I’m convinced that there must be some sort of cure out there. I doubt the show is going to let Sam die just a couple of hours into season eleven.

If it wasn’t for that, I would have been pretty well convinced that this zombie-ish disease was completely fatal. When Sam started talking about saving the people who were attacking the hospital, I thought he was absolutely crazy!

At the risk of undervaluing Sam’s gallantry, I can confidently say that he was way too reckless in this episode. I get that he feels guilty for letting the Darkness out (and, he should feel guilty; that was basically all his fault), but almost dying at the hands of the Darkness zombies was very foolhardy. Dean was correct; in this situation, it makes much more sense to shoot first and ask questions later.

I do suspect, however, that the baby (Amara) might have something to do with finding a cure. I am fascinated to see where her story is going.

However, I think I’m getting a little ahead of myself in this review. I should start by talking about the Darkness itself (or herself, I suppose). I am fascinated by the Darkness as a villain on this show. Her motives are entirely opaque. For that matter, I’m not even sure she has motives; she could just be zooming around doing Darkness things. The fact that Crowley and Cas are both afraid of the Darkness tells me that Death wasn’t wrong: allowing her to escape is a huge catastrophe. However, in some strange way, I also like the Darkness. She has some sort of mysterious allure. I’m really looking forward to getting to know her over the course of this season.

I’m also pretty concerned about Cas and Crowley. (Well, I’m not so concerned about Crowley. Despite the fact that Rowena is after him, he has his own body back again, and he really seemed to enjoy that orgy). Cas, on the other hand, seems to be in a much worse situation. That attack dog spell truly is a killer. All I can say is that I hope he gets away from the other angels; Cas can never catch a break.

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review