Review: Supernatural Season 10, Episode 22: The Prisoner

Okay. The show has now convinced me that Dean is going off the rails.

However, I’m not saying that for the reasons that Sam and Cas have been putting forward. I’m only saying it because he 1) beat up Cas and 2) killed the youngest Styne kid. Up until this point, I think Dean’s actions have been pretty logical. True, he’s been a bit more aggressive and amped up then he would be normally. However, he wasn’t really out of control; he seemed to be keeping the mark more or less in check.

For instance, in this episode, Sam and Cas freak out because Dean brutally murdered the Stynes. Okay...so, if he hadn’t murdered the Stynes, what were the Winchesters going to do with them? They are a powerful magical family who carve people up for spare parts and were planning to torch the bunker and use Dean as a medical lab rat. Plus, let’s not forget that they murdered Charlie!

Those people needed killing.

I do think that Dean should have left the kid alive. However, I also think there’s a plausible rationale for killing him. He could, after all, have been lying to Dean about hating his family and not wanting to do evil magic.

I am also a little disappointed that the Styne family was defeated so quickly. Maybe there are more Stynes out there, but, if Dean decimated the whole family, the show got rid of an interesting villain way too quickly.

Supernatural set the Stynes up to be super powerful and scary, so killing them so quickly is a bit of a let down. Plus, I was interested in seeing what evil plans they came up with. The show is only as good as it’s villains. It’s boring if there isn’t an interesting big bad to fight against.

Setting the Stynes aside, I’m also really angry that Sam is continuing to work on removing the Mark of Cain.

Hasn’t he learned that doing things behind Dean’s back is not a good idea? Working with Rowena behind his back is an especially stupid choice. At the very least, Sam should have come clean to Dean before continuing to try to remove the mark. It was a very high-handed, obnoxious decision, in my opinion. Sam’s conviction that he knows what is best for Dean when he’s criticized Dean for having the opposite belief is super hypocritical, and hypocrisy is one of the things that I hate most in this world.

Last but not least, I am also super angry that Sam tried to kill Crowley. At this point Crowley is almost one of the good guys. Or, he was, until Sam tried to kill him! I really enjoy Crowley as a character, so I’m angry that Sam tried to kill him, but I also think it was a bad decision from the Winchesters’ perspective. Crowley is much more useful to them alive than dead.

Anyway, I would say that I hope these events teach Sam a lesson, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. So, instead, I’ll just say that I hope Sam’s actions don’t make things worse.

I’m not sure how the show is going to wrap up all these plot lines in only one more episode, but I guess we’ll find out next time!

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review