Review: Supernatural Season 10, Episode 20: Angel Heart

I’m pleased to say that I actually really enjoyed this episode! In my opinion, there have been a lot of underwhelming or otherwise unpleasant episodes this season, so this one was a pleasant surprise.

First of all, seeing Claire safe takes a huge weight off my mind. Cas and the Winchesters left her in a pretty precarious state (both physically and emotionally) the last time she was on the show, so it’s a relief to see that she’s managing to take care of herself.

I’m also happy to know that she’s on much better terms with the Winchesters and with Castiel after this episode. I feel confident that she will reach out to them if she’s in trouble, and that’s as much as anyone can ask for. I’m also relieved to hear that she’s going to be staying with Jody Mills. (I actually think I suggested that the last time I reviewed an episode involving Claire.) I think that being with Jody would be the perfect, grounding experience that Claire needs; plus, I have a feeling that they’ll really get along.

It seems like Claire is considering becoming a hunter, which could be good or bad. However, overall, I just think she’s getting herself on the right track. Seeing her lose her mother was absolutely horrible and so tragic, but at least Claire knows that her mother didn’t mean to abandon her and got some closure on the whole situation. (I also think it’s really cute that she kept the stuffed animal Cas gave her).

I also really enjoyed seeing Claire and Dean get to know each other a little better! The way they bonded over mini golf was pretty cute. Also, in terms of personality, I think the two of them are more alike than they are different. If Claire had met Dean under different circumstances, she probably would have liked him from the start.

I also thought that the main monster plot of this episode was pretty interesting. I was intrigued by the idea of watcher angels that went bad. (Turning to the dark side seems to be an occupational hazard of being an angel).

Although I liked most of it, I do have a couple of bones to pick with this episode.

First of all, I’m getting really tired of Sam and Castiel exchanging worried looks and whispering “he’s getting worse” all the time, especially when Dean is behaving perfectly normally. In this episode, there was virtually no difference between pre-mark and post-mark Dean. He didn’t do anything that he probably wouldn’t have done as a normal human. He didn’t even beat up Ronnie that badly! (And, trust me, Ronnie deserved worse).

I’m not saying that the mark isn’t a problem, but I think Dean has a much better handle on it than Cas and Sam are willing to believe. Things aren’t as urgent and desperate as they seem to believe.

Here’s the kicker though: I can’t figure out whether or not the show wants us to believe that Dean is out of control. If the writers are trying to show that Sam and Cas are overreacting (Sam was particularly overbearing in this episode), they’re doing a great job. If they want us to believe that they’re right to be worried, they’re way off base. I mean, Dean was quoting silly movies and playing mini golf in this episode. That hardly screams “I’m one punch away from turning into a demon.” It’s also possible that the writers want it to be ambiguous; in which case, they’re being pretty successful.

However, the way I see it, Dean is coping pretty well, and Sam and Cas are overreacting, which is pretty frustrating. I’m sorry, but none of this was worth setting Metatron loose. Surely, I can’t be the only viewer that feels that way.

I was also pretty annoyed that Sam is preaching to Cas about the importance of family. Throughout the show, time and time again, Sam has said and proved that he doesn’t value family in the way that Dean does. I mean, Sam left Dean to rot in purgatory for over a year without a second thought. Where was his advice about being there for family then? Sam has been a hypocrite about tons of things over the past few seasons, but it’s particularly galling to hear him tell Cas to stick by Claire even if she doesn’t want him. Where was that attitude when he told Dean that they weren’t brothers anymore? I mean, COME ON.

So, I think the bottom line is that I’m annoyed with Sam, but everything else was great. What else is new?

I’m looking forward to seeing how the show is going to wrap up all these plots in the next few episodes! I’m sure it’s going to be a wild ride.
 
Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review