Review: Supernatural Season 10, Episode 13: Halt & Catch Fire

Wow this episode was GRUESOME.

While there is a lot of disturbing stuff on Supernatural, most episodes of the show don’t actually scare me. HOWEVER, this episode was pretty scary.

The deaths alone were bloodcurdling and bone-chilling (death by loud music has got to be one of the worst ways to die), and the ghost was worse! Supernatural’s special effects team is pretty talented. They really made that guy look like he had been burned to death. The idea of a murderous ghost using the internet to stalk his victims adds an extra level of horror and creepiness.

In fact, I think the scariest part of the episode was when the navigation software told the girlfriend to get out of the car. It made my blood run cold.

It’s also pretty scary to realize that the internet can reach you almost anywhere. I just hope that I don’t run into any tech savvy ghosts!

On the whole, this episode seemed like a throwback to earlier seasons of Supernatural. It particularly reminded me of the “Bloody Mary” and “Hook Man” episodes, which focused on the idea of guilt.

That’s not a criticism. I really liked the monster-of-the-week-ness of this episode. Sometimes in Supernatural, the overarching plot can drag, so it’s nice to break up the season with some stand-alone episodes.

If I had a criticism of this episode, it would be that there were too many white women with dark hair. I couldn’t keep them all straight! I spent a few minutes being very confused because I thought that the girlfriend of the first victim was the same person as the roommate of the second victim.

If you are interested in the overarching plot, the most important part of this episode was when Dean decided that he doesn’t want to try to remove the Mark of Cain anymore. Honestly, I don’t know how I feel about this decision. On one hand, I think Dean should try to fight and master the Mark on his own. On the other hand, I’m not sure he’ll be successful. Plus, I have a hard time believing that season ten is going to end with Dean still bearing the mark. Getting rid of it would be the perfect season finale!

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9