Review: Supernatural Season 10, Episode 16: Paint it Black

Okay, I’m going to be honest here, I really disliked this episode.

I just found the entire plot to be boring, irrelevant, and flat.

I didn’t care about Isabella’s story of murdering an artist in sixteenth century Italy, and I didn’t care about her ghostly drama—which took up a large chunk of the episode. It was also pretty unclear why she decided to kill the people that she killed. It seemed a bit random. There wasn’t a clear motive there.

I’m also so, so tired of hearing about the Mark of Cain. We’re not making any progress on this issue; there’s no solution in sight. So, I don’t need to hear Sam worrying about it every three minutes. Let’s give it a rest for a few episodes.

I did find it interesting that Sister Mathias routinely works with ghosts to help them cross over to the other side, but we only got a little glimpse of that.

I also would have enjoyed a little more Rowena in this episode. She is FASCINATING. Like Ruby and Bella before her, Rowena is a character you can love to hate. She is so audacious and over the top (much like her son) that it’s hard not to like her. She’s also a terrible person with horrible motives. (Turning that witch into a hamster was a good example.)

I’m positively quaking in my boots waiting to see what she’s going to do to the Winchesters. I’m sure it will be devious, underhanded, and served up with a smile. Yet, she is also such a FUN villain. She’s a worthy Supernatural opponent.

Honestly, this episode was just a snoozer for me. I yawned through the whole thing.

While season ten started out strong, I’ve been disappointed with the direction that it’s been going in for a while. I’ve heard that season eleven is pretty good, but, unfortunately, I don’t hold out much hope for the rest of this season.

Rating: 5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9