Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 6: Skin

So, apparently Dean is now legally dead. I’m curious to see what sort of implications THAT is going to have down the line. I, for one, was disappointed that Dean didn’t get to attend his own funeral in this episode. Although, that would have been trippy.

Other than that, I think this was my favorite Supernatural episode thus far. It was a lot of fun to see the boys crawling through the sewers tracking down shapeshifters. Incredibly gross, but fun!

In this episode, one of Sam’s friends (Rebecca) calls him to say that their other friend was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend. Sam and Dean discover that it actually wasn’t actually the friend at all, but a shapeshifter (spooky, huh?). Of course, one thing leads to another, and the shape shifter ends up impersonating Dean and beating up Rebecca. Of course, the real Sam and Dean catch onto him and end up killing the shapeshifter while he looks like Dean (which is why everyone believes Dean is dead). It’s all such wonderful drama! Seriously though, I love a good switcheroo. Who doesn’t? I feel like that’s why Scooby Doo was so popular back in the day.

Anyway, I’m off topic now.

Even though this is a fun episode, the monster itself is actually incredibly dark. We see from his interaction with Rebecca that he has a pattern of trying to seduce women, then tying them up and beating them. That’s prettyyyyyyyy disturbing. I mean, that is messed up on many levels. I think it’s important to remember that, as a show, Supernatural tackles some pretty dark and heavy topics. Sometimes it’s easy to overlook that because the show can be so light and fun, but the things they kill really are monstrous.

There were a lot of fun moments in this episode. I like that Sam tells Dean that the shapeshifter is masquerading as him, and Dean’s first response is “well, he picked the handsome one.” Dean’s one liners are LEGENDARY. You gotta love them.

There was also an unintentionally hilarious moment when Sam and Dean are running through the streets looking for the shapeshifter and they’re just waving their guns around. I mean, does no one notice? Does no one care? That does not happen in real life. I mean, none of it happens in real life, but you get my point.

Anyway, this episode gets two thumbs up in my book!

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review