Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 9: Home

Okay, maybe it was the clapping monkey toy, but this episode was absolutely TERRIFYING!

Scratch that, it was DEFINITELY the clapping monkey toy. Why are those things in every horror movie/show ever? I mean, I guess they’re effective because those things are incredibly creepy, especially with some scary music in the background. Like, I sincerely hope no one is actually buying those things for their kids these days. I feel like you’re just asking to give your kid nightmares for the rest of their life if you give them one of those toys.

But seriously, this was a very scary episode. I feel like I spent half the episode covering my eyes. They didn’t even show anything particularly scary; it was just the TENSION that made it unbearable. Man, do the writers of this show ever know how to build suspense!

In this episode, Sam has a vision of a woman trapped and calling for help in the home where he and Dean lived before the death of their mother. They return to Lawrence, Kansas where they find that their old home is haunted by a poltergeist, which is up to no good. With the help of a psychic named Missouri (who is the real MVP in this episode), they are able to battle the evil spirit. However, it isn’t fully banished from the house until the spirit of their mother, who died in the house, comes to the rescue. At the end of the episode, we find that Missouri has been in touch with John Winchester the whole time, and John doesn’t want to tell Sam and Dean what’s going on until he learns “the truth.” Whatever that means.

People in dramatic TV shows are always keeping secrets from each other for dumb reasons. Like, why can’t John just talk to Sam and Dean like the adults they are and explain to them what’s going on??? I mean, come on! Just be honest with your kids! I know that we just met John, but I have a feeling that I’m not going to like him as a father.

On another note, Missouri is AWESOME! She is instantly my favorite character in this show (sorry Dean, I still <3 you). I mean, where has she been all this time? She should definitely be a recurring character on this show. Can you imagine how much ZEST she would add to the show??? I mean, she has a LOT of personality. In all seriousness though, the one thing I think Supernatural is missing is a female lead. Sometimes I don’t really notice/care when a show or movie has predominantly male or predominantly female characters (LOTR is a good example), but I really do feel the lack of female characters in this show. That might be corrected later on, but right now I just feel that the show would really benefit from one or two well-developed, recurring female characters, and I think Missouri would be a great start.

Anyway, back to talking about this episode.

As I said above, I thought this episode was really, incredibly scary. There’s something about inanimate objects moving on their own that is just *shudder* inducing. But, even though it was pretty horrifying, there were some really emotional moments here too.

Like, there’s this moment that Sam tells the little girl who lives in the house to take her brother outside and not look back, and, as they’re running out, I realized that was the same thing that their father said to Dean when their house was burning. And, when that hit me, I just like “THIS EPISODE!” It hit me right in the heart. And then, of course, the mom’s ghost showed up, and that was just too much for me, on an emotional level. Why does this show make me want to cry and scream at the same time???

Obviously, I don’t know the answer to that question, but I do know that I really liked this episode (even though I was freaking out about the poltergeist the whole time), so it gets two thumbs up from me. All the same, I don’t think I’ll be going into any basements any time soon.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review