Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 4: Phantom Traveler

If I were to take a guess, I would say that this is probably the scariest episode of Supernatural for a lot of people. If you’re already predisposed to be afraid of flying (like our gallant hero Dean Winchester), I imagine this storyline is terrifying.

I mostly hate flying, but that’s more because airports are the most stressful places on the planet than because I’m afraid of being in an airplane. So, I had no problem watching this episode. I did, however, think it was slightly lame.

I say slightly because I enjoyed watching it, but I felt like it was just kind of uninspired compared to the other episodes we’ve seen so far in this season. It was, however, pretty funny. I love that Dean hums Metallica to calm himself down, and the two of them pretending to be Homeland Security agents was fantastic. Plus, the walkman EMF meter was just hilarious. Side note, did people actually still have walkmans in 2005? I’d be low-key shocked if they did. I seem to remember all the cool kids having portable CD players back in the day.

Anyway, basically what happens in this episode is a demon gets inside a passenger on a plane, causes the plan to crash, and then one by one tries to pick off all the survivors of the crash. I have a couple of problems with the general plot of this episode because a) they never even try to explain why the demon cares to do this and b) it’s inconceivable that there would be survivors in the first place. It’s also inconceivable to me that they could conduct an exorcism in the back of a plane and no one would notice, but I’ll let it go. However, I do think it was kind of bold to air this episode in 2005, considering that that was the height of panic about airport security and terrorists on planes.

I guess the important part of this episode is that we know now that demons exist in this show and they had something to do with the deaths of Sam’s mom and his girlfriend, Jess. I mean, that was kind of implied before, but now we have confirmation. Otherwise, I think this episode kind of lacked focus. It didn’t feel like it advanced the plot very much. On a positive note, we now all know the name of God in Latin, so that’s something.

Rating: 5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review