Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot

So. I know I’m really behind on the times, but I just started watching the show Supernatural. Now. In 2019. Just in time for the last season to air. So, I guess I timed that well.

But, in all seriousness, I’ve been hearing about Supernatural for years, and a bunch of people recommended it to me, but I could never watch it because a) I thought it would be too scary and b) I didn’t have a good way to stream it at the time. I did try to watch the first episode a few years back, and it freaked me out way too much, and I had to stop. (As you can probably surmise, I have a very low tolerance for being scared, especially if it involves ghosts).

However, I’ve been hearing recently about how excited people are for the last season of Supernatural, so I suggested to my roommate that we try to watch it together (she was also apprehensive about watching it alone). Long story short, we’re now on the second season, and I’m totally hooked. In fact, I’ve been enjoying the show so much that I’ve decided to try to review every single episode of the show. (We’ll see how long I can keep up with that). So, today we’re going to jump in with the review starting with season 1, episode 1.

Okay, so maybe it’s the ghost (it’s definitely the ghost), but I found this episode to be TERRIFYING. Like, it is one of the scariest episodes I’ve seen in the show thus far. The story itself kind of reminds me of a ghost story that someone read out loud from a book at Girl Scout camp when I was a kid (I definitely didn’t sleep that night). So, maybe that’s why this whole episode traumatized me.

You should watch the show if you want a detailed recap, but basically there’s this ghost woman who killed her two children and then killed herself, so now she prowls the roads and kills any man who picks her up in his car. Of course, Sam and Dean (our two protagonists) manage to get the better of her in the end. They trick her into returning to her old home, where her two ghost children destroy her ghost, or something like that. (Ghost kids = creepiness x 1000).

We also learn that Sam and Dean’s mother was killed by some sort of monster/demon when they were young. The monster put her on the ceiling, cut her stomach open, and set her on fire. So, you know, it was a pretty subtle murder. That was the event that inspired their dad to start hunting monsters and train Sam and Dean to do the same.

In the present day, Sam and Dean’s father, John, has gone missing, forcing Dean to ask Sam to leave college for a few days to help him find their dad. They don’t find their father, but when they get back (after killing the ghost (can you kill a ghost again?)), Sam’s girlfriend has been killed in the same way his mother was, leading him to decide to go with Dean to hunt more monsters and save people.

Overall, I thought this was a good episode; although, as I said, it totally freaked me out.

Real talk: why do people in horror movies/shows always do the dumbest things? Like, when that guy in the beginning picked up the ghost woman, I was like screaming “how do you not see that she’s a ghost!” at the TV. I mean, this woman looked like she walked out of a cemetery; she had the long, ragged white dress and everything. And all the guy in the show could say was “did you come from a costume party, lol.” I mean, I get that he’s horny or whatever, but you have to have a little more common sense than that!

Anyway, the highlight of the show was obviously meeting Sam and Dean (I’ve been informed that it’s 100% always Sam and Dean, never Dean and Sam) and seeing them interact as brothers. So far, Dean is my favorite character because a) HE’S SO GOOD LOOKING and b) I have mad respect for his classic rock cassette collection. I mean, 2005 was a long time ago, but I’m pretty sure I remember most people having CD players by then. He’s also got a FANTASTICALLY cool car. Like, I’m pretty sure that that car would eat my Prius for lunch; it’s obviously way too cool for me.

I was about 10 years old in 2005, but I can totally imagine how Dean would have been a major heartthrob for teenage girls at the time. Like, he even has a leather coat with a gigantic popped collar. I had completely forgotten how people were in to giant collars back in the early 2000s. The clothes in general were probably the funniest part of the episode (aside from the technology). Looking back, the early 2000s were a DISASTROUS time for fashion. Although, I am wearing a scrunchie in my hair today, so maybe I shouldn’t talk.

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9