Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 2: Wendigo

The whole time I was watching this episode, I kept thinking to myself “see, this is why I don’t go outside. Why go walk around in nature, which is dirty and wet, when you have a perfectly nice climate controlled house?” Basically, in this episode, Sam and Dean follow coordinates written in their dad’s journal to a stretch of forest where a wendigo (a kind of immortal, super strong cannibal monster) is snatching people up and torturing/eating them. The sister of one of the missing people (a guy with a DISASTROUSLY 2005 puka shell necklace) decides to go out into the woods to find him, so Sam and Dean are basically forced to come along.

Sounds like a fun weekend camping trip, right?

Overall, I was not a huge fan of this episode. It wasn’t as scary as the first one, but it was pretty dark and disturbing (although that’s kind of the point). Some of it was really over the top too. Like, when Sam and Dean go to talk to the person who survived the last wendigo attack, they find him sitting in a dark, creepy house. Like, why couldn’t he have lived in a bungalow with sunflowers on the walls? Also, when they find the destroyed campsite, there’s all this fake ketchup blood spattered over everything. The set design department definitely could have toned it down with that one.

The monster itself was also pretty gruesome looking. Actually, the special effects for it were pretty good considering how bad the production values are in season one of this show. Like, this is no shade to Supernatural; literally every show looked terrible in 2005. As I was watching season one, I kept thinking “oh yeah, TV did used to look like this.” I mean, all the colors are desaturated, nothing is truly the color it’s supposed to be, and often the light just seems weird. As I said, the special effects are very good considering the time period, but I’ve just been spoiled by how beautifully shot modern TV shows are.

Anyway, I digress.

There were also a lot of really fun moments in this episode. I love that Dean goes for a hike in the woods in his boots and a leather jacket. The girl who’s looking for her brother says something like, “you’re going dressed like that?” and his response is “well, sweetheart, I don’t do shorts.” In that moment, Dean was my spirit animal. If I go walking around outside, you’d best believe I do it in my normal clothes. I can’t be bothered to put on special clothes for nature.

I also love how he’s walking through the woods eating candy. I have to give Dean snaps for that; that would totally be me.

The technology also gives me the giggles. At the very beginning of the episode, the guy who gets monster-napped is filming a little video on the most old-school, palm-pilot looking thing I’ve ever seen. I’m sure it was top notch technology at the time, but now it just looks kind of cute.

The other great moment is when Sam and Dean come to the sister’s door pretending to be park rangers. Like, no two people have ever looked less like park rangers in the history of the world. I’m always shocked that the characters in the show believe that Sam and Dean are who they say they are. They always come up with super transparent excuses. It’s usually stuff like “I was your brother’s acupuncturist; why don’t you tell me if he’s seen any ghosts lately?”

I think this is also the first episode where Dean gets a kiss at the end. My roommate and I kind of have a running joke about Dean getting a kiss or not getting a kiss at the end. But, I guess if Dean saved me from a cannibal monster, I’d definitely give him a peck on the cheek.

Rating: 5.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review