Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 7: Hook Man

This episode was billed to me as really terrifying. When I would tell friends that I was watching Supernatural and found it scary, they would be like “oh, wait until you get to the Hook Man, it’ll knock your socks off.” So, of course, I psyched myself up for it, and then...it wasn’t that scary.

I mean, it was dark and gory, sure. But scary? Not really.

Basically, Sam and Dean hear that a spirit with a hook hand has been terrorizing a community. They learn that he is the spirit of moralistic pastor, but the Hook Man manages to kill several people before Sam and Dean realize that the current pastor’s daughter is inadvertently controlling the spirit. The daughter has a necklace made out of the silver of the Hook Man’s hook, forcing the spirit to take revenge on the people who have made her angry. Sam and Dean destroy the necklace, and everything is right with the world.

Overall, I didn’t have strong feelings about this episode. It was well written, and it had a good plot with a good mystery, but it didn’t stand out to me as particularly memorable. I did enjoy the whodunit aspect of the episode when they were trying to figure out who was controlling the spirit, and learning that the daughter was the one pulling the strings was a good twist.

On another note, I think this is the first time we see Sam and Dean salt and burn bones to destroy a ghost. It’s kind of cool as far as lore goes, but I’m always shocked that they never seem to get caught doing it. Like, you’re lighting a fire in a cemetery...isn’t someone going to see that? I mean, a lot of graveyards have caretakers, right? Where are they when someone is digging up a body and lighting a bonfire? I get that they do it at night, but it still seems like someone should be paying more attention.

Oh well. I guess the moral of the story is, when you’re trying to kill ghosts, pick one that’s buried in a neglected cemetery. Or, maybe the moral is, if you have a friend who controls a vengeful spirit, don’t make her angry.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review