Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 8: Bugs

Oh, this episode. I cannot deal with this episode.

I don’t even know what to say about it. It was just LAME. I mean, honestly, it was. I know a lot of people who watch Supernatural, and they all say that this is one of the worst episodes of the series.

I get that bugs are part of the natural world and they’re important to the ecosystem and all that jazz, but bugs are ICKY, and I don’t want to see them on my TV, and I certainly don’t an entire episode of Supernatural centered around them.

Also, like, bugs are gross, but they kind of suck as a curse. Like, what happened to rains of blood or a plague on both your houses? Spiders in your shower are HORRIFYING, but that’s not a real curse. It’s also lucky that they aired this episode in 2005 because I can guarantee you the cursed Native American burial ground storyline would not fly in 2019. That would be way too controversial.

In case you need a recap, this episode focuses on a housing development that is cursed. Every year, for a certain number of nights nature—in the form of bugs—takes its revenge on whoever is living on a land, which was the site of a massacre of Native Americans.

I feel like this plot idea was something the writers pulled out of thin air when they realized the season was supposed to be 22, not 21 episodes. It just feels half-baked and generally lazy in terms of storytelling. There’s no monster for our hunters to defeat; they just have to run out the clock until the bugs go away. How lame is that?

And they don’t even do a good job with that! Sam and Dean supposedly arrive at the house to fight the bugs at midnight, but the sun is rising approximately fifteen minutes later. I get that this is a TV show and they can’t actually show them fighting the bugs for six hours, but you have to be just a *tiny* bit more realistic with the timeline.

On the other hand, we did learn how to make a blow torch out of a can of Raid. I’m sure that will come in handy.

Rating: 3/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review