Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 5: Bloody Mary

*Excuse me for a moment while I cover all the mirrors around me.*

Okay, I’m back. Let’s talk about this episode of Supernatural.

I’m just going to come right out and say it. This episode was SCARY. I mean, it was a straight up horror movie in miniature. The moment I saw the title, I knew it was going to be a rough 45 minutes for me, and oh boy was I ever right.

I think this was particularly scary because Bloody Mary is a horror story that you inevitably encounter during your childhood. When this episode aired, I’m sure thousands of people immediately had flashbacks to sleepovers where they got dared to go into the bathroom and say you-know-who’s name. I don’t think I ever did that, but I certainly know people who did. It’s one of those things that terrifies you as a kid, hence it creeps you out as an adult too. But, I think it was the bleeding eyes that really got to me. I just can’t with bleeding eyes. I CAN’T.

That was really dark. The last scene was especially tough to watch.

In case you don’t remember, Sam and Dean come to this town where people who have something on their conscience are dying in front of mirrors after someone in the vicinity summoned you-know-who. Our favorite hunters learn that, in order to defeat the spirit, they have to destroy the mirror that she died in front of. They track it down in an antiques shop. However, Sam almost dies when the spirit confronts him with his guilt over Jessica’s death, causing him to bleed from his eyes *shudder*. Fortunately, Sam and Dean have the good sense to turn the mirror on the spirit, forcing her to confront her guilt for the people she has killed, thus destroying her.

I think this was the first episode in which we see Sam’s self-destructive streak (trust me, I have a whole lot to say about that later). It definitely had an engaging plot and some good character development moments. Overall, I thought it was a TERRIFYING, but well written episode...just don’t look into any mirrors after watching it.

Rating: 6.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review