Review: Supernatural Season 9, Episode 15: #thinman

Oh my goodness, this episode! This. This is the Supernatural that I signed up for, the Supernatural that keeps me glued to my screen and pulls me back in after bad or mediocre episodes.

In case you can’t tell, I really liked this episode. It was classic Supernatural, a callback to the first five seasons when the show was on fire! We had an emotional gut punch mixed with self-referential humor and wonderful weirdness. That’s what I want!

Okay. Let’s get to talking about the actual episode.

First of all, who wasn’t excited to see the Ghostfacers again? I shrieked with excitement when their van appeared on my screen.

It turned out that they were dealing with some pretty serious emotional problems, but, hey, I’m still here for their ridiculous and over-the-top ghost hunting techniques. I was especially impressed by Ed’s over the top narration of supernatural crime scenes.

I also thought the monster of this episode was really good (you know, in a terrifying way, of course). This episode reminded me a bit of season one because this monster was genuinely scary. I know that if I saw a faceless monster in a photo behind me, I would drop dead of a heart attack before he could even stab me!

I’m guessing that this “Thinman” is based off of the Slenderman, which is a real world internet urban legend. Even though he’s fictional, I personally find the Slenderman to be terrifying because he has inspired real world crimes (some googling will tell you what I mean).

Anyway, I think they did a good job of adapting this story for the show. The final reveal at the end was particularly interesting. Honestly, it reminded me a bit of a Scooby Doo episode!

I was a bit surprised that Dean killed the Thinman after learning that he was actually a human, but I guess there was nothing else they could do. They certainly couldn’t let him live!

However, the big takeaway from this episode was really all about emotions. Here, we see Harry and Ed confronting a deep betrayal. Harry decides that there are some things he can’t forgive, and he can’t forgive Ed. Obviously, the show presented this plot as a parallel for Sam and Dean’s relationship. You can see that they could both relate to what was going on.

That being said, I would argue that Ed’s betrayal was much worse than what Dean did. Dean saved Sam’s life! Surely, that has to count for something, even if Sam didn’t want it. I know that Sam perceives it to be a selfish choice, but I (and probably a lot of other viewers too) don’t see it that way.

Anyway, I’m guessing this emotional problem is going to follow us around for the rest of the season. Maybe I’m being insensitive, but I just want Sam to get over it. I’ve been re-watching some episodes in season six, and I miss compassionate, kind Sam (after he got his soul back of course). Sigh. Maybe in a future episode.

That being said, I really enjoyed this particular episode. The plot was great and well-written. It’s always the human monsters that are the worst!

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review