Review: Supernatural Season 9, Episode 11: First Born

I have to say it: Cain might be my new favorite character on this show.

I mean, who doesn’t love an immortal beekeeper with a penchant for violence? Seriously though, I think Cain is going to make a fascinating character on this show. His story is already very intriguing. The fact that he is the killer of the Knights of Hell is a really interesting detail, and his story with Colette is just heartbreaking. If Supernatural made a spin-off show about Cain’s life, I would be all over it.

Speaking of great new characters, let’s all take a moment of silence for Tara. We met her for about thirty seconds, but she really stood out, and I was hoping we would see more of her in future episodes. Alas, that was not to be. Let’s hope someone gave her a hunter’s funeral.

The big story of this episode, however, was Sam’s partnership with Castiel and Dean’s partnership with Crowley. There’s some interesting symmetry going on there, that’s for sure.

I’m sure I’m not the only fan to say this, but I am a big fan of Crowley and the Winchester’s friend/enemy relationship. It is endlessly entertaining. I’m glad that Dean and Crowley have a common interest in finding and destroying Abaddon because watching them work together is just so fun!

What’s not fun, however, is the fact that Dean now has the mark of Cain. I’m not an expert on these things, but I’m pretty sure that that’s going to cause some problems for Dean. I mean, the mark of Cain isn’t exactly a badge of honor. I also have some questions about this whole situation: Does Cain himself still have the mark? Does transferring the mark to Dean mean that Dean is now immortal? Because, if that’s true, I’m guessing it’s going to pose some kind of problem.

On the other hand, I thought that Sam and Castiel’s interaction in this episode was kind of touching. I really appreciate Castiel’s new respect for humanity (and he’s right, PB&J is amazing) and his new compassion. It was really sweet to see how he took care of Sam and protected his safety over everything else. The Winchesters don’t do that enough on this show. It is a little disappointing that they weren’t able to locate Gadreel, but we’re only half way through this season, so I’m sure there’s plenty of time left to track him down.

On an unrelated note, I have to give Crowley the best line of the episode: “Kraken? I got a warehouse full of Kraken essence in Belize.” I wonder what else Crowley has in a warehouse in Belize.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review