Review: Supernatural Season 6, Episode 18: Frontierland

Okay, so this was a FUN episode.

Seriously though, I was all about Dean in those super tacky cowboy clothes. It was a fashion disaster, but in a fun way.

So, in case you need a recap, in this episode Sam and Dean discover a way to defeat the mother of all while reading a journal from the Campbell family library. They learn that the ashes of a phoenix can burn the Mother. Of course, the next problem is that they don’t know where to find a phoenix. Fortunately, they find a mention of a phoenix in the journal of Samuel Colt, and Cas is able to send them back in time to retrieve the creature.

They arrive in a stereotypical, old-West town, where they learn that the phoenix is a person and he is a fugitive from the law (although, it seems like he was kind of framed for his crime). Various twists and turns take place, ending with Dean killing the phoenix in a Western style shoot-out. Unfortunately, Dean isn’t able to get the ashes before Cas brings them back to the future. Samuel Colt, however, manages to mail them the ashes to the future.

In reality, I don’t think this would actually work because I’m pretty sure the postal service wouldn’t accept a package for a house that hadn’t been built yet. But, hey, what do I know. I’ve never tried to send the ashes of a magical creature into the future.

Overall, I thought this episode was really cute. The old-West theme was campy in a fun way. I loved Dean’s enthusiasm for being a cowboy (even if the old-West wasn’t as hygienic as Dean could have desired; I’ve always said that the real problem with the past was a lack of toothbrushes).

I also really enjoyed the fact that the phoenix was a person. It was a nice touch. I kind of wish the show had taken a little more time to explore that, but maybe we’ll see another phoenix in a future season.

Anyway, I think this was one of the best episodes of the season so far. Hopefully that’s an indication that it’s going to finish strong.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review