Review: Supernatural Season 6, Episode 13: Unforgiven

Well, I found this episode to be STRESSFUL.

And disturbing. Let’s not forget disturbing. I am NOT a fan of those spider people; I can tell you that for sure. I mean, those crazy eyes were stomach churning.

The flashbacks were also kind of ominous. Maybe it’s just me, but I found them stressful. I guess there’s a GOOD reason that the Winchesters never return to the scenes of previous hunts.

However, the overarching message of this episode was that soulless Sam was AWFUL. I mean, I guess we knew that, but he was really and truly cruel. The fact that soulless Sam used that guy as bait was just horrific. Also, Samuel was a bit suspect for letting him be awful indiscriminately (like I said, I don’t like him either).

In case you need a reminder, in this episode, Sam and Dean travel to a town that Sam visited while he was soulless. Sam’s soulless actions catch up with him, and he finds himself embroiled in the case of an arachne (spider person) that he hunted a year ago. Although Sam killed the original arachne, he failed to help her victims, allowing them to turn into new arachne. One of the arachne decides to get revenge on Sam and lures him back to the scene of the hunt. Much unpleasantness ensues. The episode ends with the wall in Sam’s brain breaking, leaving him mentally stranded in a sea of fire.

Out of all the monsters, I have to say that the arachne are some of the most unpleasant. They were prett-y gross. I suppose the moral of the story is that you always have to pay for your past actions. I have a feeling that Sam is going to be doing a lot more of that over the course of the season.

Sam also seems to have his memories back now. Obviously this is going to pose some mental and psychological issues. I have a feeling he’s going to be out of action for a bit. On another note, I don’t think death made a very good brain wall if it crumbled that quickly.

Anyway, I get that this is an important episode for plot reasons, and I thought the plot was pretty good, but I wouldn’t rewatch this episode. It was just too dark and unpleasant. I found it to be pretty joyless overall. Not every episode has to be happy, but they have to be enjoyable to some extent.

Also, spiders are icky. Enough said.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review