Game of Thrones Review: Season 6 Episode 6

Well, I feel like I say this every week, but that was an eventful episode! However, I have to say that the biggest reveal this week for me was that Benjen Stark is Coldhands! I mean, I don't think I was alone in thinking that he didn't die (I mean, on Game of Thrones -- and in the books -- if someone doesn't die on camera, they're most likely not dead), but that was a great reveal! I have to imagine that this was originally a George R.R. Martin idea, so it's a little sad that he didn't get to reveal it in his own way in the books, but I'm still duly impressed.

Anyway, let's get to the review!

Favorite Moments:

Coldhands, but Not a Cold Heart: Well, the Starks are certainly resurgent in season 6! Benjen Stark is back in the game, rescuing Bran and Meera just before they became zombie chow (do wights eat? I hope not). Readers of the ASOIAF books will remember Coldhands, an enigmatic character that guides Bran and his buddies to the Three Eyed Raven and saves Sam and Gilly from those pesky White Walkers. Although it hasn't been confirmed by the books, it appears that Coldhands is Benjen Stark, which is certainly an interesting revelation. His hands may be cold, but his heart certainly is not. I have a healthy appreciation for Benjen's timely rescue of his nephew and for his flame thrower thing.

Gilly Meets the In-Laws: I know that a lot of people are bored by Sam and Gilly's plot line, but, personally, I think it's really cute. I mean, at least someone has a somewhat happy story line. I thought it was a great to get such an in depth look at Sam's family dynamic (his dad is now on my list of worst fathers in Westeros). And, let's be real, Gilly clearly wins the award for best dressed this week (it turns out that she cleans up pretty nicely for a Wildling). I'm not exactly sure how their plot is going to fit into the larger plot of the show, but I'm content to wait and see where it goes (come and see, JK, that was last episode). I'm also a little confused about what Sam meant when he said that they were leaving. Did he mean their leaving Horn Hill and going to Old Town? Or, did he mean that he's leaving the Night's Watch completely? I guess we'll have to wait and see (come and see).

Dany the Dragon Rider: I love every scene that the dragons are in. I love all of Dany's rousing speeches. So, this was a perfect Daenerys Targayen scene for me. I have no complaints, I just want her to get on her dragon and fly over to Westeros already!

Arya Stark is Still a Stark After All: Might Arya's plot finally be going somewhere? Let's hope so. It appears she's finally going to leave the Faceless Men (joy to the world!) and perhaps join the traveling players (maybe they'll travel over to Westeros, who knows). I'm just so glad that she's not going to become a Faceless Man! Plus, I'm actually really starting to like Lady Crane as a character. She should do a spin off show where she produces comedic, low-budget versions of everything that happens in Game of Thrones. Someone pitch that to Weiss and Benioff, pronto!

Unfortunately, He's Not Dead Yet: Guys, I know he killed Robb Stark and engineered the Red Wedding, but you have to admit that Walder Frey has a certain comedic genius. After the Red Wedding, just about everyone forgot about the Freys, so it's good to be reminded that they are still around, doing things and capturing castles. This week, I especially enjoyed Walder Frey harranguing his sons for losing Riverrun ("It's a castle, not a sheep!") Apparently, Walder Frey wants results and he's not taking "can't" or "won't" for an answer. Plus, we learned the fate of Edmure Tully (Catelyn Stark's brother and the heir of Riverrun), who has apparently been languishing in the Frey dungeouns since the Red Wedding. I don't envy him; if that's what a Frey castle looks like, I don't want to see a Frey dungeon.

Least Favorite Moments:

Whoopie, Tommen is Now Even Stupider than He Was Before: I don't even want to talk about how stupid Tommen is; it hurts me; it physically hurts me. I mean, trusting the High Sparrow worked out so well for his mother, what could possibly go wrong? Next thing you know, Tommen will be prancing through the city naked. Or worse, he'll be confessing that his uncle is actually his father. On that note, sending Jaime away was idiotic. Sure, he's rash and prone to violence, but he cares about Tommen and is genuinely invested in his survival. No one really likes Tommen, and certainly nobody is as willing to sacrifice for him as Jaime is. Gosh, King's Landing is such a mess! How could it possibly get any worse? I don't even want to think about what's going to happen when this all hits the fan. And believe me, it's going to hit the fan.

What Game is Margaery Playing? Is She Playing the Game of Thrones?: I can't even begin to speculate as to what game Margaery thinks she's playing. And, believe me, she's playing some sort of game. I don't buy her miraculous conversion for a minute. All I'm going to say is this, if Margaery thinks she can outmaneuver the Sparrow, she has another thing coming to her. She may have bought some temporary stability, but Margaery underestimates the High Sparrow at her peril. Olenna Tyrell is right, they are losing. The sad thing is that Margaery and Tommen don't seem to realize it yet.

No Kingsguard of Mine: As I said before, sending Jaime away was painfully stupid on Tommen's part. My only consolation is that he's headed towards the River Lands, where he can meet up with Brienne, marry her, and have tall, blonde babies that are good at sword fighting. Although, if he tries to get with Brienne, he'll have to go through Tormund first.

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

The Other Tully: Well, if the preview for the next episode can be relied upon, it looks like the Blackfish is back! He's my favorite fish. So much better than one fish, two fish, or red fish, blue fish.

Will Jaime and Brienne Rekindle Their Romance: Don't think I forgot that steamy bath in season three, Jaime and Brienne. Apparently, they're both heading for Riverrun, so maybe they'll rekindle their romance. Hopefully, it will be sans bear this time.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review