Game of Thrones Review: Season 6 Episode 2

Well, I think we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief now that we know that Kit Harrington (aka Jon Snow) will be gracing our screen with his flowing locks of hair and brooding expressions for many episodes to come. In all seriousness, even though I suspected that Jon would be resurrected, I wasn't completely sure because it is, after all, Game of Thrones. (I didn't want to jinx it though, so I did wear my "The North Remembers" t-shirt and paint my nails black in honor of the Night's Watch (you can follow my nail polish escapades at my beauty blog).)

Favorite Moments:

I Prefer Being an Only Child: Hands down, no questions asked, Ramsay Snow/Bolton is the best villain to grace the small screen. Like, I know he murdered his father and fed two people -- including a baby -- to dogs in this episode, but I'm almost thinking "well done -- I thought you couldn't go further, but somehow you did!" I'm almost impressed with his villainy. First of all, I was a little surprised that Ramsay killed his father. I mean, I know that he's capable of just about anything, but I always thought that he was a little afraid of Roose. However, I did love the look on his face after he stabbed him. It was kind of like "I can't believe I just did that...oh well, no going back now." Conversely, as soon as he killed Roose, I knew he was going to kill the baby. I did not, however, expect him to feed the both Walda and the baby to the dogs. That was a particularly evil plot twist. Not to mention Ramsay's expressionless face as he watches two people being torn apart alive. However, nothing was colder than his stony one-liner: "I prefer being an only child." But, to be fair to Ramsay, I'm an only child and it's kind of awesome.

Don't Worry, I Know Your Mother: By far the most comical/terrifying moment in this episode was when Tyrion descended to the dragon lair to have a heart-to-heart with two giant, fire-breathing lizards. I mean, I didn't think they would kill Tyrion, but it is Game of Thrones so there was a fifty percent chance that he would end up roasted alive. However, I'm glad that someone finally figured out that it's a bad idea to keep the dragons chained up. Trust Tyrion to be the only person who's smart enough to figure out what is glaringly obvious. I also loved that he won the dragons over my telling them that he's friends with their mother...I'm glad that dragons understand the Common Tongue.

And Now His Watch Has Ended...Or Has It?: I am profoundly glad that Jon Snow has rejoined the living, and even more glad that he got a hair cut (it was a long time coming). I'm hoping that the new, resurrected Jon Snow has a better sense of style in his second life. Like I said, I didn't honestly think that they were going to let Jon Snow stay dead. However, the resurrection scene was still great. I loved that Melisandre didn't think that she could resurrect him and Davos was like "have you ever tried" and then they thought it didn't work, but it did work! That was such great suspense. I also loved that Ghost was the only one who knew that Jon was coming back. You know, I didn't really think that Melisandre's character could be rehabilitated after she burned Shireen alive (I've always hated Melisandre), but, somehow, she's one of my favorite characters this season.

Least Favorite Moments:

Bran is as Exciting as a Bran Muffin: Although I enjoyed seeing baby Benjen and mini Ned, I have no interest in Bran's plot line. Yes, his visions are interesting and he's definitely a great vehicle for the show to show us a little Game of Thrones history, but I'm totally indifferent to the adventures of tree man and leaf girl. Speaking of leaf girl (actually, I think her name is literally Leaf), I think the creators of Avatar are calling the producers of Game of Thrones to ask for their CGI back.

What is Dead May Never Die: There are several plot lines in this show that I don't care about at all and the Iron Islands plot line is one of them. Their tag line ("What is Dead May Never Die") is pretty cool, but otherwise I'm totally bored by by their weird, salty religion. Like, even in the books, I did not care at all about the Iron Born. Plus, their plot in this episode didn't even make sense. Why was Balon on that bridge in the middle of what appeared to be a typhoon? Why didn't he have guards? Was the show budget stretched too thin to hire extras for the Iron Islands scene? Granted, I'm glad to see Euron Greyjoy (who has an important part to play in my Targaryen Restoration theory). However, the stranger in black trope is getting a little tired. Considering all of this, I have no idea why Theon is voluntarily choosing to return home, and, quite honestly, I have no interest in a plot line that involves Theon trying to make good with his family.

A Girl Has No Name...And I Don't Care: As I wrote last week, I have no interest in Arya's plot line. It's not connected to anything else that's happening in the show, and I hate it when people refer to themselves in the third person. I just want Arya to go back to Westeros and do something vaguely related to the plot. I feel like Arya has so much potential as a character, and it's all being completely wasted.

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

A Stark Reunion on the Horizon: The producers of Game of Thrones have been dangling a Stark reunion in front of the viewers for three seasons. If Jon and Sansa don't reunite in this season, I'm going to scream. Sansa cannot continue to suffer so much for nothing.

Meanwhile in the Dothraki Sea...: I'm really looking forward to seeing where Dany's path takes her this season. Plus, the Dothraki are always good for a laugh.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review