Game of Thrones Inspired Nails: Fire & Blood Edition

Note: This blog was originally published on my makeup blog. If you want to see other manicures, please follow my makeup blog.

So, last week I wrote a blog about a Game of Thrones inspired nail look and people seemed to like it, so I decided to do a follow up blog with my Game of Thrones nails for this week. This week's nails were inspired by House Targaryen because I love Daenerys Targaryen and she always looks fierce -- even when she's been walking through the dessert for weeks.



I created this nail using a very simple gradient technique. Because House Targaryen's colors are black and red, I did a black and red gradient.

Before you start, you'll need a wedge shaped makeup application spongeYou can buy bags of these sponges at drug stores or cosmetic stores. They're very cheap. Using scissors, trim a sponge so that the thick end is the size of your largest nail.

To start out, I painted a latex barrier around my nails. If you don't know, latex barriers (also known as the peel off stuff) are very useful for messy nail art -- and gradient nails are messy nail art. You can buy latex barriers on Amazon, or just buy latex body paint -- it's the same thing.

After my latex barrier dried, I painted two thick stripes of nail polish on the thick end of a foam, makeup application sponge. For this look, I used Malaga Wine by OPI (which is a dark red, wine color) and Black Out by Sally Hansen. But, you could use any red or black nail polish. Dab the thick end of the sponge on your nail until you achieve the desired opacity. Dab lightly; don't squeeze or put too much pressure on the sponge.

Paint more polish onto the sponge as it dries out. Do not wait for polish to dry on your nails between coats; act quickly before the sponge becomes crusty or dry. Once you're done, you can peel off the latex barrier (which has hopefully saved you from a lot of mess) and add a top coat.


Theoretically, you could do this nail look with any combination of house colors of Game of Thrones. You could also do this technique with three colors. Although, if you try to use more than three it tends to look a little muddy. If you're using lighter colors or pastels, I suggest painting a white base coat on your nails first. Let's be real though, House Targaryen clearly has the best colors. Fire and Blood for the win!

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review