Game of Thrones Review: Season 6 Episode 5

Well, I think it's safe to say that everyone on the face of the earth now ascribes new meaning to the phrase "Hodor," I mean, if they ascribed any meaning to it to begin with.

I've heard this episode described as life changing, but, honestly, I found it to be just a normal episode. I mean, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I just don't get what everyone's freaking out about. Actually, I liked last week's episode much better. However, even the worst episode of Game of Thrones is better than the best episode of any other show, so let's get to the review.

Favorite Moments:

Sansa Eviscerates Littlefinger: Every season, Sansa gets a little tougher and a little stronger (remember how annoying she was in season one?) and this season is no exception. I loved seeing her tear Littlefinger to pieces and making him confront all the pain he caused her. In previous seasons, she would have taken his help without question, but I don't trust Littlefinger and I'm glad Sansa doesn't either.

Arya Goes to the Theater: Usually, I find Arya's scenes pretty boring, but her trip to the theater this week was quite good. When you're watching the show as an outsider, you often get so caught up in your own perspective that you don't consider how events in the show appear to other people in the show. It's extremely painful and uncomfortable to see the Starks' pain and tragedies  turned into comedy, but it's a good reminder that events appear differently to different characters. Also, Arya's discomfort at seeing her family ridiculed makes it clear that she's not no one.

Tyrion Lannister was Right, I Love You: Besides Tormund's love for Brienne (that relationship is getting pretty steamy) and Grey Worm's love for Missandei, Jorah Mormont's love for Dany is one of the truest romantic attachments in the show. His scene with Daenerys was SO SWEET and SO SAD. If Jorah doesn't get a kiss from Dany before he dies, Game of Thrones is no game of mine.

Never Trust a Red Priestess: This week on Game of Thrones we meet Melisandre's kid sister, Melisandre Jr. (Actually, I believe her name is Kinvara.) She believes that Daenerys is the prince (or princess?) that was promised, which may cause a bit of a problem for the Lord of Light, seeing as he's gone through three promised princes in the last six episodes. "Promised" is a strong word, maybe "tentatively committed" is better. In any case, Tyrion has recruited her to do PR for the Mother of Dragons campaign (Daenerys Targaryen for the Iron Throne!). I don't know how well that's going to work out for Tyrion; if his sister has taught us anything, it's that you shouldn't trust religious fanatics. However, Kinvara clearly has power. Her knowledge of what happened to Varys is truly uncanny, and I don't think I've ever seem Varys so uncomfortable. Ironically, she really unmanned him.

The New Lord Commander: For some reason or another, Dolorous Edd became a relatively important character this season and I love it. I loved it when one of the other Night's Watchmen asks him if he should close the gate and he looks around and realizes that there are like ten of them left and is like "yeah, close the gate." For being so dolorous, he's quite entertaining.

Sansa Stark's Fashion Boutique, Wolf Themed Clothing is her Specialty: As I said last episode, I love that Sansa and Jon are back together again, and I love their little interaction over clothing. Jon was clearly touched that Sansa made him a cape like the one their father used to wear, and I thought it was a very sweet gesture. Plus, Sansa is getting pretty handy at designing clothes. If the whole "Wardeness of The North" thing doesn't work out, she has a promising career as a designer of wolf themed clothing.

Least Favorite Moments:

Sansa is Being Stupid Again: Sansa had a couple of great moments this episode (as noted above), however, I think she's making a real mistake by not telling Jon about Littlefinger. I mean, seriously, that's going to come back to bite her. Currently, Jon is the person most invested in Sansa's well being (besides Brienne); Sansa is an idiot to mess with that. It's not that I think Jon is going to turn against her or anything, but if he finds out about Littlefinger, he'll stop trusting her and then neither of them will trust each other and it will be a disaster. It's idiotic that Sansa doesn't trust the most honor-bound, trustworthy person in the entire realm.

The History of the Faceless Men is a Real Snooze: Who was the first faceless man? He was nobody. Really? I never would have guessed. Blah, blah, blah, faceless men, snooze. Come back to me when you're interesting.

If You're Going to Create a Zombie Army with Icy Faces and Bad Hair, You Really Should Have a Good Reason: I know it was supposed to be a big reveal, but I find the idea that the children of the forest created the White Walkers to be painfully stupid. For creatures that are smart enough to create hand grenades in a world where the sword is the most advanced piece of technology, it seems pretty stupid to create a monster that's far far worse than men to defend you from men. Not well thought out, children of the forest, not well thought out.

Big Woot, Kingsmoot: I know I sound like a broken record, but I really don't care about the Iron Islands and I don't care about the Kingsmoot. Yara promises to build ships, Euron promises to build ships, and I'm shockingly indifferent. Although, I do appreciate Euron's willingness to admit to murder -- it's quite refreshing in this world. His mockery of the word "gallivant" is also richly deserved. The drowning ritual is kind of cool as well, but it seems extremely stupid. There's about a fifty fifty chance you actually kill someone by drowning them like that. I mean, I assume the Iron Born are professionals, but drowning your king may not be a good idea. I know, crazy right?

When Did this Show Become the Walking Dead: Now, as you know, Bran's plot line wasn't my favorite from the get go, but this week was particularly distasteful to me. His action packed escape from the army of the dead was a little too Walking Dead for me (granted, I've never seen the Walking Dead, but I gather it's something like the Wights and White Walkers). Hodor's death was very moving, but it was overshadowed by a lot of

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

Will the Iron Islands Ever Become Relative: Like I said, I don't really like the Iron Islands plot, but if they end up teaming up with Dany Targaryen, they might actually become interesting/relevant.

Someone Needs to Kill Ramsay: Could Jon Snow please kill Ramsay Bolton? Pretty please?

Guess Who's Back in Meereen? Daenerys Targaryen: I really hope Dany comes back to Meereen next week. It's getting a little boring there without her.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review