The Vampire Diaries Revisted: Season 1, Episode 2: The Night of the Comet (Review)

"I met a girl. We talked. It was epic.”

That is such a quote!

I had forgotten all about that classic Vampire Diaries utterance. I feel like it could be the tagline for the whole show. It’s also probably the most teenage sentence uttered in the entire show (that and “she’s big on texting.”). It makes me buy that Stefan and Elena are actually in high school.

Honestly, that was probably the best moment of the episode for me. However, I should probably talk about what else happened.

First of all, I want to comment on how the Salvatore house is absolutely GORGEOUS. Like, it’s so fancy and rich and moody and cozy, and it all just SCREAMS vampire to me. It’s so cool. Also, like, it’s HUGE. I’m surprised Zach has been able to take care of it on his own all this time. It would take all day just to clean that massive library, and the electricity bill would not be cheap. The things you think of when you’re a grownup.

I also want to say that I feel bad for Matt. He gets a raw deal on this show. Everyone ignores him and disregards him, and he just trys to be a good guy anyway. Plus, it must really suck to have to sit and listen while two guys argue about why your sister did or did not sleep with them. I’m shocked Matt didn’t punch either of them in the face! Tyler and Jeremy both deserve it.

Vicky also takes a lot of crap in this episode. As much as I don’t really like her, being almost thrown off a roof by Damon is enough to make me feel sorry for anyone. I had forgotten how much Damon toyed with her in these first few episodes.

I also want to comment on how Bonnie was not a supportive friend to Elena in the episode. It rubbed me the wrong way that she was basically telling Elena that there was something wrong with her if she didn’t feel ready to be in a relationship. Elena has been through major trauma and life chaos, so, if she’s not ready, I think that’s fine. I mean, I know that they are going to get together because I’ve seen the show, but I just resent the pressure on Elena’s behalf.

Also, on an unrelated note, is it a rule that all vampire fiction has to mention Wuthering Heights? First it was Twilight, and now it happened with Vampire Diaries! It must be required reading for girls who date vampires.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9