Review: Supernatural Season 11, Episode 19: The Chitters

 This. Episode. Was. HORRIFYING!

Like, I thought the Soul Eaters a few episodes back were bad, but this was much, much worse. You have to hand it to the writers, they’re really bringing their A game with the scary stuff this season. 

I can’t get that cave full of bones and carcasses out of my head. And that horrible chattering noise was just unbearable. And that glowing green egg inside that woman? UGH. Shudder. I already know that this is an episode that I’ll never be able to rewatch. It was just too disturbing. 

That being said, I do have to give Supernatural props for coming up with a good premise for a “monster of the week” episode. This certainly ranks among the most creative and unique monsters that the show has come up with, and the present and past element of the episode was some really great story telling. 

Speaking of which, I don’t think anyone could argue that Jesse and Matty’s story wasn’t absolutely heartbreaking. Matty’s death—and the fact that it was so senseless—was just devastating. I’m glad that they were at least able to give him a proper burial and that Jesse has his special coin now. At least there was some closure there. 

I’m also glad that Jesse and Cesar got out of hunting (at least, I hope they stay out of hunting, for their sakes). They were great characters and great hunters. As much as I would like to see them again on the show, it’s probably better for the characters themselves to settle down and live a normal life. I think it may be one of the few Supernatural examples of a time when someone got their revenge and then returned to a normal life afterwards. That kind of thing is pretty rare. 

Anyway, this episode was pretty emotionally draining, so I can’t say that I enjoyed it, but it was well done, if you know what I mean. I respect the storytelling behind this episode, but I don’t want to see another episode with a Bisaan ever again on this show.

Rating: 7/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review