Review: Supernatural Season 9, Episode 22: Stairway to Heaven

Let us all take a moment to grieve for Tessa. After Cas, she was the best angel/reaper on the show.

(By the way, if you can explain how the reapers suddenly became angels, please let me know in the comments. Maybe they’re honorary angels? It’s unclear to me).

Even though Tessa hasn’t been on the show in a long time, her death felt unnecessary. From a plot perspective, Dean had to kill someone so that the other angels would be upset with him, but it didn’t have to be Tessa! She was one of the last remaining characters from the early seasons of the show! They could have used her character more productively, and I’m disappointed.

Aside from Tessa’s death, the rest of this episode felt like a wash to me. There was no distinct plot or story going on in this episode. There weren’t even any particularly clever moments (aside from the calorie obsessed, ice cream snob at the very beginning of the episode). It was just more of the same. More of trying to foil Metatron. More angel conflict.

If you like these plot lines, I’m sure the episode was very exciting. However, they haven’t really been appealing to me lately, so I found this episode a little boring. Plus, as I said, I’m getting tired of keeping track of which angel is on which side. There are too many of them, and their names are impossible to remember!

The best and more interesting part of the episode was Dean enduring the changes brought on by the First Blade. It’s clear that he’s struggling with aggression and anger in this episode. He has no chill! I’m a little afraid of what’s going to happen to Dean now that he’s attacked Gadreel (by the way, I don’t blame him for doing that. That dude killed Kevin!). However, I assume we’ll get into that in the final episode.

In any case, let’s hope the season finished strong in the next episode.

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review