Review: Supernatural Season 9, Episode 19: Alex Annie Alexis Ann

This may or may not be my favorite episode of the season.

I still have a handful of episodes left to watch, so it’s too soon to say, but I can say this for sure: this episode was really, REALLY good.

In case you need a recap, this episode focused on a vampire “family” that kidnapped a child and raised her as their family member. The girl is forced to help the vampires lure humans to their nest. She finally decides to run away and ends up running into Sheriff Jody Mills and the Winchesters. Through a series of DRAMATIC events, Jody and the boys end up killing the vampire family and rescuing the girl—who is named either Alex, Annie, Alexis, or Ann—from becoming a vampire herself.

The plot was WILD in my opinion. It was really original, which is hard to do on a show with literally hundreds of episodes. It was also really dramatic and had good emotional pacing, which is what really drew me in.

Everyone seemed to view Alex Annie Alexis Ann as a sort of daughter figure. She filled an emotional hole in other people’s lives, but was never really able to express herself fully as an individual person. At the end of the episode, we see her on the verge of this self realization. However, what is more fascinating is how the vampire mother uses her to replace a lost child, and Jody does the same, albeit in a more compassionate way.

Personally, I really want to know the backstory of the vampire family. They are like so FASCINATING to me. I want to know what happened to the mom’s original kid. I want to know how she found all the vampire sons. I want to know how they all came together. I’m assuming this is kind of an adoptive family, not a biological one. It’s so weird! Especially for the Supernatural world. If someone made a spinoff series about that vampire family, I would watch it with rapt attention.

Anyway, like I said, this episode was really interesting to me. Isn’t it funny how some plots just capture the imagination? I thought it was a great demonstration of storytelling, and it reminded me of OG Supernatural. This is one that will definitely make it into my hall of fame.

Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review