Review: Supernatural Season 10, Episode 1: Black

I never thought I’d say these words, but I LOVE demon Dean (Dean-mon, as I have been calling him).

It’s just nice to see Dean totally unchained and doing whatever he wants! I mean, for the past few seasons, he’s been tormented by guilt and a crushing sense of responsibility, so it’s nice to see him having FUN again.

Plus, it’s fun to watch Dean being a demon. Supernatural has become an increasingly serious show over the years (although, it was pretty serious to start with), so it’s nice to see some fun injected back into the series.

I mean, if Dean singing a bad karaoke version of “I’m Too Sexy” isn’t fun, I don’t know what is.

I don’t completely understand the nature of Dean’s particular demon, but it seems to be a little different from a standard demon. It seems like he can turn it on and off at different times, but the demon always casts a pall over Dean’s personality. It’s Dean’s natural personality for sure, just carried to extreme lengths.

I’m just glad to see that Dean didn’t go on a murderous rampage. That’s always positive.

I mean, is he ridiculously and shockingly violent? Yes. Did he potentially sentence Sam to death? Yes. But he’s doing it all with a happy attitude and a smile on his face.

Speaking of Sam, I have a few things to say about him. First of all, I’m disappointed that he allowed himself to get snatched so easily. Sam has been dealing with demons and monsters for over ten years at this point, you’d think he’d be a little more cautious when meeting a random person by the side of the road.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no doubt that Sam is going to get away from this Cole guy eventually, but it’s a little embarrassing for a Winchester to be captured by an ordinary human.

I’m also a little annoyed by Sam’s general demeanor. He has all of this concern for Dean all of the sudden when, for most of the last season, he’s been totally indifferent to how Dean feels and what Dean wants. Now, all of the sudden, he decides to be a caring brother again? Give me a break. If Sam didn’t look for Dean when he was stuck in Purgatory for a year, why would he look for him now?

My biggest problem with Sam’s character is the inconsistency. I could deal with him being a bad brother. I can’t deal with the hypocrisy.

On the other hand, I genuinely believe that Cas is concerned about Dean. I feel bad that Cas has lost his grace, but I also like seeing him as a human. It’s a very interesting aspect of the show. Exploring how it feels for a non-human to become human is endlessly interesting. I don’t believe for a second that the show is going to let Cas die, so I’m guessing that getting his grace back is going to be a major plot point in the show.

I am disappointed that Cas killed Daniel (it’s hard for me to believe that we’re still coming up with new names for angels on this show), but I think Cas is also disappointed in himself for that.

Okay.

Now that I’ve said all of that, we can get to the NEW character on the show: Cole.

First of all, let me say that I hate this guy. However, I have a feeling that he’s going to be an enjoyable villain. Like, I’m going to enjoy watching the Winchesters get the best of him. So, in that way, I kind of like him. Know what I mean? And, believe me, anyone who doesn’t even know that supernatural beings exist is going to be bested by the Winchester.

Plus, this guy is so SMUG. Smugness is not an attractive quality. I look forward to his defeat. 

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review