Review: Locke & Key Season 2, Episode 8: Irons in the Fire

If you read my last review, you might remember that I suggested that the Lockes make another key to counteract Gabe's key. It must have been a good idea because that's exactly what the Lockes are doing in this episode!

I mean, making a key makes sense. The ability to make keys is one of the only things the Lockes have on their side. I think it's likely to be a succesful plan. Gabe's demon key is certainly his most powerful weapon, and if the Lockes can even the playing field, they're much more likely to be able to defeat him. That being said, they are certainly in a BAD situation at the moment. 

Gabe's army of demons is truly terrifying, and it's even more frightening that Gabe wants the Lockes to join him. Having a demon in your body sounds like a fate worse than death. Plus, the fact that Gabe has law enforcement at his beck and call opens a whole new range of horrifying possibilities. 

Losing Jackie to the demons was also pretty bad. I'm not really emotionally invested in Jackie as a character, but I do understand that it must be horrible for Tyler to see her that way. However, I do think that having a close friend become a demon inspired their choice to make the key, so that's all to the good. Let's just hope that they can save her before it's too late. 

I suppose we should also talk about the flashbacks in this episode. I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of the acting in those scenes, but I guess I'll have to let that go. It was VERY interesting and revealing to see how the Lockes found the portal to the other world and started making keys. My only question is why are the Lockes the only ones who can make keys? Why does the whispering iron whisper to them and not other people? What makes the Lockes magical, special people? I hope we get some answers to those questions before the end of the season. I also have to note that Key House didn't look that impressive back in the day. I like it better now. 

We should also take a second to talk about Josh's ancestor. He was a JERK. At least, I assume that the  obnoxious British officer is Josh's ancestor. Why anyone would want to celebrate that sort of an ancestor is beyond me, but I suppose he had an interesting story from a historical point of view. 

Speaking of Josh and his family, I'm glad that Jamie got the Small World Key back, but I'm also very disturbed that her father, Josh, seems to be taking advice from Eden now. I don't know how Eden could use Josh to her advantage, but I'm sure she'll find a way. Meanwhile, I'm wondering what will happen if Josh sees the other world because adults are not supposed to remember magic. It would be a bitter pill if he's the only adult who can remember magic without using the memory key, and he uses that power to betray the Lockes. Let's hope that the situation doesn't go that way.

All and all, this was sort of a "middle of the road" episode in my opinion. It was good to get all the backstory, but I didn't find the flashback scenes to be very compelling. To me, this episode just felt like buildup for the final episodes of the season. It's the bridge to the exciting finale. I'm looking forward to seeing some of those exciting moments in the next episode.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review