Game of Thrones Inspired Nails: House Stark & Jon Snow Edition

Note: This blog was originally published on my makeup blog. If you want to see other manicures, please follow my makeup blog.
In honor of the new episode of Game of Thrones that is airing tomorrow, I have decided to continue my series of Game of Thrones inspired manicures. This one was inspired by Jon Snow (aka, the guy with the best hair on television) and House Stark.

For this manicure, I used the same gradient technique that I used to create this Targaryen manicure a few weeks agoThe gradient technique is a simple way to get cool, unique manicures without lots of tools or expertise. If you aren't familiar with gradient techniques, or you didn't read my Targaryen manicure blog, I'll walk you through the steps.



1) Before you start, you'll need a wedge shaped makeup application spongeYou can buy bags of these sponges at drug stores or cosmetic stores. They're very cheap. Using scissors, trim a sponge so that the thick end is roughly the size of your largest nail.

2) After you have your materials ready and have chosen the colors for your gradient, paint a latex barrier around my nails. If you don't know, latex barriers (also known as the peel off stuff) are very useful for messy nail art -- and gradient nails are messy nail art. You can buy latex barriers on Amazon, or just buy latex body paint -- it's the same thing. Obviously, you don't have to use a latex barrier for this manicure, but it makes clean up a lot easier. 

3) After my latex barrier dried, I painted two thick stripes of nail polish on the thick end of a foam, makeup application sponge. For this look, I used Silver Dollar by Revlon (which is a basic, metallic silver) and White On by Sally Hansen (which is basic white). However, you don't have to use these specific polishes. The Stark colors are grey and white, so you could use any combination of grey, white, or silver polish. Gradients usually work best with two or three colors, however, if you're a beginner, I recommend two colors -- three can get a little complicated. Originally, I did a gradient with silver, grey, and white all together, but I decided it looked too busy and that a simpler combination would be better. I settled on white and silver because they're Stark colors, but they also reminded me of snow (like Jon Snow!).

4) After you've painted your polish on the sponge, dab the thick end of the sponge on your nail until you achieve the desired opacity. Dab lightly; don't squeeze or put too much pressure on the sponge. You may need to add a little more polish to the sponge if your polish isn't opaque enough; this is especially true of light colors, like white. 

5) After your polish dries, add a glossy top coat. 

Happy manicure-ing and remember, WINTER IS COMING!

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review