Game of Thrones Review: Season 4 Episode 3

This season just keeps getting better and better! Episode three was a great continuation of the momentum that episode 2 created. So, without further ado, let me present to you my thoughts on episode three: Breaker of Chains.

Favorite Moments:

1. Tommen - In the books, Tommen doesn't have much personality, so I'm glad that they're making him more interesting in the show. I think he had more lines in one scene in episode three than he did in the entire book series, which isn't saying much. Anyway, I hope we see more of Tommen, he makes a nice change after Joffrey.

2. The Most Loyal Squire - This scene made me tear up a little. I'm always surprised when someone does something kind or decent on Game of Thrones, but Podrick is just so loyal! It was just so sweet and touching. Not to mention that any scene with Tyrion in it is bound to be good.

3. The Prince of Dorne - I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Red Viper is a spicy individual. Whatever he does, you can bet it'll be interesting. I mean, really interesting. It was great to see him interact with Tywin (talk about weird alliances). The whole Martell vs. Lannister conflict is so interesting on so many levels and it's great to see that that the show isn't playing it down. In fact, I don't think this scene was even in the books, but it's certainly an interesting addition. I look forward to many more spicy Red Viper scenes.

4. Breaker of Chains - Let me make this clear: any Dany scene is a good scene. I loved her speech, especially considering Tywin's lesson about the importance of wisdom earlier in the episode. Dany is certainly wise. I mean, if anything, this scene shows that she's learning how to play the game. She's really learning the value of psychological warfare. The broken chains were a good touch too; that's powerful symbolism for you. Hopefully her flying barrels of freedom didn't kill any slaves. That would be ironic.

5. The Queen of Thorns - I'm pretty sure the Queen of Thorns is everyone's favorite old lady; she's just so sassy! This is another scene that wasn't in the books, but I'm glad they added it to the show. The show has really developed the Tyrell characters in a way the book didn't, and I really enjoy that. I mean, considering Margery was willing to marry Joffrey (let me say that again: willing to marry Joffrey), I think it's important to get her side of things. I especially love how Olenna is already making plans for Margery to get with Tommen; she doesn't waste any time.

Least Favorite Moments:

1. Why Have the Gods Made Me Love a Hateful Woman? - I was not impressed with this scene. As everyone who has read the books knows, Jaime is not a rapist, and I am extremely angry with the producers of the show for making him look like one. I understand that they were trying to show that Jaime had lost all his loyalty to Cersei, but they didn't have to depict it that way. Let me be clear: it didn't happen this way in the book. In the book, it was consensual. This whole scene seems especially ironic after Jaime saved Brienne from rape; I mean, they just totally destroyed Jaime's character development. Not to mention that there's already enough non-consensual sex in this show without adding extra to make a point. I don't appreciate that.

2. The Hound Steals Silver - It wasn't that there was anything wrong with the Arya/Hound scene this week, it just didn't seem...right. It's not that the Hound doesn't steal, because he does, it's just that the hound isn't sneaky. If he wants to take your stuff, he'll take your stuff, but it seems unusually underhanded for the hound to come into someone's house, stay the night,  eat their food, and then rob them. That's a little too nasty for the Hound. The Hound is the sort of horrible person who will kill you to your face, not stab you in the back.

3. Baby Sam - Again, there wasn't anything wrong with the Gilly/Sam scene; it was just sort of boring, not to mention repetitive. It was too long and took time away from more important scenes. 

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

1. Sansa Stark on the Rise - Sansa Stark is one of my favorite characters, so I'm glad to see her finally escape King's Landing. Although Littlefinger is undeniably creepy, she's definitely safer with him than she is with Cersei. Even though I already know where it leads, I'm excited to see where her path goes.

2. Meereen Bends the Knee - Meereen is asking for it, and Meereen is going to get it. They had it coming. Note to self: don't mess with the mother of dragons.

Valar dohaeris  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9