Game of Thrones Review: Season 4 Episode 1

As you know Game of Thrones season 4 premiered last night and I am so, so excited! All and all, I think season 4 is off to a great start. Not a minute of the premiere was wasted, every second was chocked full of important plot points and details. It's really is back and better than ever. So, in honor of this fantastic premiere, I'm going to walk you through some of my favorite and least favorite moments.

Favorite Moments:

1. The Opening Scene - The episode takes its name, "Two Swords", from the first scene in which we see Tywin Lannister melting down the Starks' great-sword, Ice, to forge two new swords for his family. This single act speaks volumes. More than the deaths of a few individuals, the destruction of Ice really symbolizes the destruction of the Stark family. I'm glad the producers gave that the attention it deserves.

2. The Red Viper - The producers of Game of Thrones did a spot on job of casting the Red Viper. After the catastrophic demolition of the Stark family last season, we needed someone else to remind the Lannisters that they're not the only ones who pay their debts. Pedro Pascal does a great job of bringing the same fire and passion to the Red Viper that made him stand out in the books. I can't way to see more of him this season.

3. Arya and the Hound - It's been said before and it'll be said again, Arya and the Hound are the ultimate odd couple. They're both so interesting and complex as characters and together they're even more dynamic. Their scene this episode was great; it had some epic dialogue and it was nice to see Arya cross another name off her people-to-kill list. "You lived your life for the king. You gonna die for a chicken?" "Someone is."

4. Sansa  - The Stark girls really are a class act this episode. I give props to both Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams for turning in some A+ acting. I felt so bad for Sansa this episode! I mean, I would feel bad for her anyway since she's a fourteen year old girl alone in a big city and married to a man twenty years older than her. But Sansa just did such a good job of being heartbroken this episode. Sometimes, with all the massacres and battles on this show you can forget about the character's feelings, but Sansa did a great job of bringing some attention back to the mental/emotional side of Game of Thrones

Least Favorite Moments:

1. The Daario Naharis Re-Cast - Not gonna lie, I was a big fan of Ed Skrein as Daario Naharis and I'm sort of upset about the recast. So far, Michiel Huisman hasn't completely ruined the character, but he's on probation as far as I'm concerned. Huisman is a far cry from the flamboyant, bejeweled warrior in the books (although so is Ed Skrein if it comes to that, but Skrein has beautiful hair so it makes up for it). In my opinion, Huisman lacks the exotic tinge that makes Daario such a cool character.

2.  Jaime and Cersei Confusion - Don't get me wrong, I loved the scene between Jaime and Cersei, there was so much great tension and palpable feeling, but I felt that something was lacking. In the books, it's super clear that Cersei was unfaithful to Jaime when he was away, which becames a major plot point and motivation for Jaime later on. There was some of that in the show, but I still think it could have been made much more clear.

3. Brienne's Clothes - I don't know who was in charge of designing Brienne's clothes, but that person needs to go get the scissors and Cut. It. Out.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9