Game of Thrones Review: Season 4 Episode 2

I have five words for you: What goes around, comes around. All around Westeros, the people are singing 'ding dong the wicked king is DEAD'! I mean, I've read the books so I knew what was coming, but actually seeing it was something different. So, here are my thoughts on episode two, The Lion and the Rose:

Favorite Moments:

1. The King is Dead, Long Live the King: This is the scene that broke the Internet: Joffrey is dead. He's dead! The annoying little brat who made everyone's life horrible is dead! This is a great moment for the world because everyone hates Joffrey. The only person who loves him, actually, the only person who even likes him, is his mother. He's one of those guys. And the scene itself was great. Like, I love how he drinks some wine, starts to choke, then drinks MORE wine. Like, that's so Joffrey. Not to mention that, when he was dying, no one except his parents even tried to help him. And HBO didn't even care! I mean, his eyes bled! There was blood coming out of his eyeballs. That was actually pretty disturbing. In that sense, the death scene was hard to watch; it was just so gruesome. It may have been a little worse in the book, because, in the book, he actually clawed his own throat out. So, kind of disappointed that we didn't get to see that...

2.  Jaime and Tyrion: I loved Jaime and Tyrion's scene together. I mean, they have such a great, normal relationship, which is what I think they both need in THAT family. I mean, Jaime's been having a tough season: his dad's disappointed in him, his sister won't have sex with him, and his son is a psycho. And, of course, it's nice to discover that Tyrion isn't hated by his entire family. Honestly, I don't know why Jaime and Tyrion don't hang out together more often.

3. Sword Fighting 101: I loved seeing Bronn and Jaime training together; it wasn't in the books, but it was a great, fun addition to the show. I look forward to many sell sword sparring sessions.

4. Everyone's Clothes: Everyone in this episode just has epic clothing, especially the Dornishmen. Apparently, Dorne is home to the fashion design institute of Westeros, because their clothes are so, so cool. Margaery looked great too; her hair in this episode was just insane. #RockinTheUpdo

5. The Purple Wedding: Even aside from Joffrey's death, the Purple Wedding was just great. I mean, everything from the clothes to the entertainment was just great. You can really tell how much time and effort the set designers put into it. Props to them; it was so visually stunning. I loved the big lion head and the pie with birds inside and all of those other details. Also, I love how everyone looks super bored the whole time - just like a real wedding.

6. The Rains of Castamere: This was the perfect song to use for the credits of this episode, and it was such a cool version of the song too. If you didn't listen to the whole song, take a minute and listen to the whole song. It's really creepy and haunting, I mean, it really sounds like a funeral dirge. Fitting, huh?

Least Favorite Moments:

1. Shae: We're only two episodes into this season and Shae has already caused like 90% of my annoyance with the show. In case you haven't read the books, just know what Shae was not nearly as annoying or unreasonable in the books. I mean, I don't know why she's struggling so much to understand her situation. Like, Tyrion's just trying to keep her out of danger and she's fighting him tooth and nail. Apparently she has now left King's Landing, but if you've read the books, you know that this isn't the last time we see Shae. I mean, unless things are going to be totally different, which would annoy me too.  

2. The Dreadfort: Whenever I see Ramsay Snow scene, I cringe. Do you realize that the episode opened with Ramsay hunting a woman. Actually hunting her, like with dogs and stuff! I know that that happened in the books, but that was frickin' disturbing to see on TV. I did not need to see that. Also, I feel like they went into way more detail with Theon's flaying in the TV show than they did in the books. Also, this may be paradoxical, but I feel like Theon looks too healthy. I mean, in the books he had all his teeth knocked out and his hair turned white. He doesn't look that bad in the TV show. But all and all, there's just nothing fun in this story line.

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

1. Joffrey' Funeral: I saw an interview with Jack Gleeson about the funeral in the next episode, so now I'm really excited to see it. I'm really curious to see how they do the body; I mean, I really doubt that Cersei wants to see her son lying there with a purple face and bloody eyes. Are they going to put makeup on him? Who's gonna be crying at the funeral? I mean, if anyone. It's going to be an interesting scene.

2. Tommen: In case you forgot, Joffrey has a little brother. You'd be forgiven if you couldn't remember anything about him because, to be honest, he's a pretty forgettable character in the books. However, since the TV show has a history of making unimportant characters into far more compelling and interesting people, I'm curious to see what they're going to do with Tommen.

3. Who Dun It?: Of course, the big question is who killed Joffrey? We know for sure it wasn't Tyrion, because Tyrion would never be that stupid, but, honestly, there's only one person who didn't have a reason to kill Joffrey. And that person is his mother. Obviously, I have my own ideas about who killed him, but I'm not going to spoil it for the people who didn't read the books.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9