Game of Thrones Review: Season 5 Episode 9

I can't believe there's only one more episode!!!! I have NO IDEA how they're going to wrap up this season in only one more episode. UGH! I'm already waiting for season 6. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's break down this penultimate episode.

Favorite Moments:

Drogon the Dragon: A lot of people online are dissing Dany's scene in this episode. I had a few small issues with this scene, but, overall, I thought it was fantastic. It was so satisfying to finally see a dragon in action. I loved how Drogon just swept in and saved Dany. Not to mention that the whole scene was super well done. I loved that moment when Jorah throws the spear at the Son of the Harpy right behind Dany and then she turns around and everyone is in a golden mask. It was a real :O moment.

The Stag: I'm so, so glad that Shireen and Davos  had a final moment together before Shireen's death. The scene with the little wooden stag was just so cute; right now, I'm just imagining Davos coming back to camp and finding the wooden stag in the ash. HEART BREAKING!

Losing All Your Friends: Jon's scene this episode was EPIC! I loved the suspense when it was unclear if the Night's Watch was going to let them through the wall or not. I'm so glad that they let them through, but the scene still made my skin crawl. It looks like Sam isn't the only one who's losing all his friends.

Dornish Loyalty: This week's Dornish scene was great! It was great to see more of Jaime and Bronn (who are currently my most favorite characters). Dorne is such a cool place and everything from the clothes to the food are so cool to look at. I also love the idea of Myrcella and Jaime going back to King's Landing together and having father-daughter talks and stuff. I'm also sure that Doran has some sort of super sneaky plot to implement and I'm looking forward to seeing that play out.

Least Favorite Moments:

Stannis is the Worst Dad Ever: Obviously, Shireen's death was the most noteworthy scene in this episode. This scene got a TON of criticism online -- mostly because Shireen was a twelve year old who was brutally murdered. I too have issues with this scene, but for different reasons. Although Shireen's death was HORRIBLE and SICKENING, I don't think the violence in and of itself was the biggest problem with this scene -- remember, Stannis has been burning people alive since season two. I think it's a little hypocritical to be okay with thousands of people being murdered by ice monsters  in one episode and then flying into a righteous rage over the death of one person. My biggest problem with this scene was: 1) that, although it's implied that Shireen will die in the books, it hasn't actually happened yet. On one hand, I don't want the books to be spoiled for me. On the other hand, I think that adding things to the show that don't happen in the books is a bad idea -- as I've expressed in previous blogs. Also, I'm super frustrated with the fact that they waited until Stannis was a tiny bit appealing before completely destroying his character. I mean, I was never a big fan of him anyway, but STILL. (I actually have a bunch of theories about Shireen and her greyscale; you can read about it here). 

Things I'm Looking Forward To: 

Will the Wildlings Live?: What will happen to the Wildlings is an open question. I don't think I'm the only one who smells a rebellion on the horizon. Will the Wildlings live? Will Jon live? Will the Night's Watch dissolve?

Sansa's Situation: I'm looking forward to seeing how the showrunners are going to resolve Sansa's plot line in the finale. I really, really hope something HORRIBLE happens to Ramsay.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review