Game of Thrones Review: Season 5 Episode 8

All I can say, after watching this episode of Game of Thrones, is that I am profoundly grateful that the Army of the Dead is  not coming for me. I mean, I bet living in a fantasy world would be cool sometimes, but not when the zombie nation is knocking on your door; I'll stick with my iced coffee and desk job. I think this episode was one of the only times I've legitimately been scared while watching Game of Thrones. Throughout the entire battle scene (I say battle like it wasn't a complete massacre), I was so anxious and so discomfited; after it was over, my heart was pounding. You know you're watching good TV when the show makes you feel like you're going to be turned into a wight, and you're just sitting on your couch! #AllTheFeels.

Favorite Moments:

Like Lemmings Do: The entire last scene (i.e. THE ARMY OF THE DEAD) was awesome but the best part -- in my opinion -- was when all of the wights jumped off the cliff, got up, and kept running. For real though, that was ridiculous! This moment was so telling because it really showcased the power of the Army of the Dead. I read a lot of reviews of Game of Thrones and I've noticed that lots of reviewers are like "ahh, It's okay, the Army of the Dead will never get over The Wall." I've got news for you guys, THEY CAN GET OVER THE WALL. THEY'RE COMING!

Night's King: First of all, I have to say that I love, love the way the show runners chose to stylize the White Walkers. THEY LOOK SO COOL! They're just so creepy. It's SO COOL! I was really pleased to see the White Walkers in this episode, especially Night's King (dude with the ice crown growing out of his head). Can we all just take a minute to appreciate how BA Night's King is? I loved the scene at the end where he's standing on the dock and he raises his arms and all the dead people stand up. He was just like "what now, Jon Snow, what now?"

Reek, Not Theon: Sansa is finally catching (somewhat) of a break. I'm so glad that she now knows that she's not actually the last Stark; Sophie Turner is such a great actress; the shocked, relieved look on her face when she found out that Bran and Rickon are still alive was so good. Prediction time: I predict that, in the show, Sansa will escape with Brienne's help. Sansa will then tell Brienne that Bran and Rickon are still alive. They will head off to the Wall to look for them (because it makes sense that they would go to Jon at the Wall). They will then run into Stannis and tell him that Bran and Rickon are still alive. Stannis will, as he does in the book, dispense Davos to find them. Davos will find Rickon with House Manderly. Then, after Stannis defeats the Boltons -- don't worry, it's coming -- Sansa will rule the North as Rickon's regent and she will be the Queen of the North. And, once she's ruling the North, Sansa should be able to help the Night's Watch. I could be wrong now, but I don't think so.

The Lion and The Dragon: I am unthinkably delighted that Dany and Tyrion are finally together and HAVING CONVERSATIONS. Like, everyone has been waiting for this since season one. There were so many great moments in this conversation I can't even count them all. I think my favorite was when Tyrion was like "I only trust Varys and my brother" and Dany was like "you mean the brother that killed my father?" and Tyrion was like "that's the one." The different connections between people and families are just fascinatingly complex in this show and it was so great to see them negotiate their familial history. Anyway, I'm so glad that Dany has decided to accept Tyrion as her advisor -- I'm looking forward to seeing where he can take her.

Wun Wun: Wun Wun the Giant is my new favorite person. And yes, in case you missed it, his name is Wun Wun. That is all.

Confess: I never thought I'd say this, but I felt bad for Cersei this week. Her scenes were not 'fun' by any stretch of the imagination, but they were supremely well done. I loved the scene where Cersei is drinking the water off the floor and the Rains of Castamere is playing. Look, Cersei is vicious, cruel, and underhanded, but no one should be tortured and denied water. I'm all for her answering for her crimes -- especially killing King Robert and passing off Jaime's children for his -- but I don't think the Faith Militant has any business arresting and trying people. Where is the Westerosi court system when you need it?

Least Favorite Moments:

Someone Else: As you all know, I am not a fan of Arya. Her scenes this week were good and cool, but her plot has been disconnected from everything for way too long. Like, I'm glad she's learning to be an assassin, but what relevance does it have to the rest of the plot? It's so irrelevant right now and it's getting a little boring.

Wights Can't Cross Water?: This is a small point, but why can't the Wights and White Walkers cross the water? I mean, they're already dead; they're magical creatures; why are they afraid of drowning? I don't get it! They jumped off a cliff! Why can't they go in the water? I mean -- don't get me wrong -- I'm glad they can't go in the water because I wanted Jon to get away, but it doesn't make any sense!

What is Jorah Doing?: First thing first, I'm very glad that Dany didn't kill Jorah but I'm super annoyed with Jorah now. What is he doing going back to the fighting pits??? He tried that! It didn't work! Also, he's being supremely stupid about the Greyscale. In the books, they made it very clear that, if you get Greyscale, you're supposed to cut off the part of your body that has Greyscale. He should leave the fighting pits, cut off his hand, and try a new tactic in life. Obviously, running after Dany isn't getting him anywhere.

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

More Wun Wun: Wun Wun is my friend. I like Wun Wun.

Hand of the Queen: I'm super excited to see more of Tyrion and Daenerys. #TheLionAndTheDragon

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review