Game of Thrones Review: Season 5 Episode 5

We're now half way through the season and there are so many unanswered questions! So many things we haven't seen yet! So many opportunities for dragons to eat someone! (BTW: That was awesome). It struck me as I was watching this episode that, in a little over a month, this was going to be over and I'm going to have to wait another year to watch again and that's going to be terrible. But, to misquote Lord of the Rings, today is not that day.  Let's break it down:

Favorite Moments:

Dinner with the Boltons: If you thought the Lannisters were the most evil people in Westeros, you weren't even close. The Boltons are absolutely brutal! Their dinner scene this episode was so, so painfully awkward; it may have been one of the best things I've ever seen. You know it's a good moment when Ramsay Bolton is getting all creepy and sadistic on someone and then, out of no where, Roose Bolton swoops in and tops you. You better come correct when you're dealing with Roose Bolton. Ramsey was just like "ooooh Sansa, I can creep you out. Be afraid of me. BE AFRAID OF ME!" Then, Roose was like, "no, son, you'd better be afraid of me because I'll drop some disinheritance on you." Without a doubt, the Boltons have the weirdest, most disturbing family dynamic in Westeros. Like, let's not gloss over the scene later in this episode where Roose was talking about Ramsey's conception. I mean, you would be hard pressed to find a more horrifying moment in the show than a story about a rape in the shadow of a hanged body. Let me be clear: THESE PEOPLE ARE PSYCHOS. And it makes for great TV.

The DOOM: I like that Jorah and Tyrion bonded over poetry in this episode. POETRY! What will Game of Thrones thinks of next? It really goes to show the mystery and cultural significance that surrounds Old Valyria, which, by the way, was looking pretty Roman, if you ask me. Aqueducts, anyone? Still, more importantly, did you see their faces when Drogon the Dragon came flying over that city??? I mean, there were so many great Tyrion and Jorah moments in this episode, but their faces when they saw the dragon just say it all. Like, to misquote one review I saw, they didn't need to even say anything, their faces said it all. Jorah's like "wow, he got big," and Tyrion is like "OMG, they weren't lying, there are dragons." Sometimes, amazingly, it can be easy to forget that there are dragons in the show; but, when they show up, you're just like "yeah, no amount of money and political alliances are going to stand in the way of all of that."

The Stone Men: Continuing in the theme of great Tyrion and Jorah scenes, the scene with the stone men was so well done! They looked awesome and terrifying and the whole time I was just like "ahhhh, don't let them touch you!" #MakeupArtistsForTheWin

Sullied or Unsullied: I ship Grey Worm and Missandei so much it's not even funny. At first, I was super annoyed by the idea of this relationship, now I'm in love with their love. IT'S JUST SO CUTE! The Unsullied are called 'unsullied' because they're supposed to be completely free of all emotion, but, as we've seen in this season, that's very far from the truth. They are, in fact, sullied. In the words of Jurassic Park, life finds a way (because, when does Jurassic Park not apply?).  I'm very much in support of Grey Worm finding a way, although, it may not be the best for Dany's army.

Don't Make the Dragon Angry, You Won't Like Him When He's Angry: A dragon eating someone alive is always good, clean fun, right? Every now and then, with all the stuff that's going on in the show, you forget that the dragons are around. That's understandable, right? There are wars and coups and White Walkers to worry about. But forgetting about the dragons is always a HUGE mistake, because, the next thing you know, you're a flaming flambé of blood and guts and crispy, burned skin.

Sam the Slayer: I'm glad that someone finally decided to pay some attention to Sam. I was very glad that Stannis decided to ask him about killing the White Walkers because, like, I feel like someone should have asked him about that before... I mean, it seems kind of important, right?

Kill the Boy: I can't end this blog without touching on the best speech in the entire episode. The line "kill the boy" was simply brilliant. I love the guy who plays Maester Aemon and I feel like they don't use him nearly enough. Kudos to you Maester Aemon. (Also, on a side note, it was really cool to see news of Daenerys reach Aemon all the way up at the wall. It's really tempting to forget that there's another Targaryen running around in the world but, indeed, there is.)

Least Favorite Moments:

Brienne the Bore: Honestly, there weren't many moments I disliked during this episode. However, I have to say that I'm a little frustrated with the idea of Brienne just waiting around. I mean, I get it, Sansa said she didn't need her -- but, seriously, try to be more productive, Brienne. It makes for better TV.

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

More Jaime and Bron: They're certainly a dynamic duo and I missed them this episode.

Pretty in Pink?: Except for the like three seconds of Myrcella in a pink dress we saw a few episodes ago, we haven't seen any Myrcella at all, which is bugging me. If you're not going to bring her into the story, stop showing her in the "previously on Game of Thrones..." But please, I want her in the show.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9