Game of Thrones Review: Season 5 Episode 1

Words cannot express how excited I am that Game of Thrones is back. Seriously, the entire time I was watching I was just like 'I can't believe I waited a year for this; how was I so patient????' Episode one, which I believe is called "The Wars to Come," however, was certainly worth waiting for. Honestly, I have to say that I'm a little concerned about this season because I've heard that they're going to move DRASTICALLY away from the books; I think that's a mistake because so much of GOT's success has to do with how good they've been about sticking to the books and I don't want to see the show ruined. That being said, episode one did a great job of sticking to the script, so to speak, and I think it was the perfect kick off for the season. Let's break it down:

Favorite Moments:

Missandei and Grey Worm, Awwww: Let's be real, I'm not a fan of shows inserting love stories for no reason, so I wasn't originally a fan of this relationship -- as I've explained in previous blogs. However, it's growing on me. Anyway, I thought there scene this week was soooo cute. I mean, it's so funny to see Grey Worm, who's usually so tough, be shy and vulnerable. I love that they've expanded his role -- and Missandei's role too. Speaking of which, I was really glad that they showed the Unsullied soldier going to the brothel. I thought the fact that they explored that in the books was really interesting; it was such a humanizing moment for the Unsullied, so I was glad they included that.

Sansa with the New Hair: Is it just me, or is Sansa's hair a completely different color this season? I know that she dyes her hair in the books so that no one will recognize her, but she's already revealed her identity in the show, so I'm not sure where they're going with that. I know that the actress is a natural blonde, but I liked her as a redhead; not sure if I'm feeling her current style, but I digress. Anyway, I like the new Sansa in this episode. The 'look at me, I'm so cool' Sansa. It may just be me, but it seems like her character has finally gotten some confidence and street smarts in this season and I'm really excited to see more of that.

Tyrion is Back and Drinking More than Ever: I have to say that I love, love, loved Tyrion rolling out of a crate like a, well, like a drunk person who was living in a crate for a few weeks. His whole conversation with Varys was both funny and real and, as always, Peter Dinklage brings every scene he acts in to life.

Least Favorite Moments:

Flash Backs :P : Let me be upfront about this. I have and never will be a fan of flash back's in TV shows, that includes Cersei's flashback this episode. Like, at this point in the show, you already either like or hate Cersei (let's be real, you hate Cersei). Therefore, I feel like producers don't need to go out of their way to make her likable and relateable -- or whatever it was they were trying to accomplish with this scene. Also, I feel revealing this information at this point in the show is sort of irrelevant. We already know that she's protective of her kids and jealous of Marjorie. This scene would have had a lot more punch right after Joffrey's death. Overall, I was just bored with this scene. I know they were trying to make it mysterious and intriguing, but it failed miserably.

Jaime, What Are You Doing? : Okay, at this point in the show, I expect way, way more from Nikolaj Coster Waldau. I don't know who he was trying to be or what he was trying to do in the Dead-Tywin-Awkward-Cersei scene (as I call it), but it wasn't working. He was like: Am I still in love with Cersei? Am I sad about Tywin? Am I angry with Tyrion? I don't know because my character has become a puddle of blonde vanilla pudding and the directors refuse to give me any direction. It's been a while since I read the books, but I remember this scene being way, way more interesting. As I recall, it was from Jaime's perspective, and you got a really interesting internal view of his relationship with his father and family etc. This scene had N.O.N.E. of that. Nikolaj Coster Waldau you can do better. Nikolaj Coster Waldau you disappoint me.

Things I'm Looking Forward To: 

Tyrion's Quest for Dragons: I am so, so excited to watch Tyrion travel across Essos to meet Dany; I know it's not going to happen right away, but boy is it going to be COOL.

More Sansa & Hair: I'm very excited to see what Sansa is going to do with her new, dark hair. Just her hair. That's all.

The Wildlings & The Wall: The Wall is not my favorite plot point, but I am looking forward to Jon's negotiations with the wildlings.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review