Game of Thrones Review: Season 4 Episode 7

Wow. Just wow. I think that was the best episode since the Purple Wedding! Mockingbird just killed it! It was so, so good! This was one of those episodes where you're watching and you're watching and you don't even realize that the episode is about to end and then it ends and you're like: "what??? that's it????". That was basically my reaction to this episode.

Here are some other reactions:

Favorite Moments:

I've Only Loved One Woman...Your Sister - Wow! I knew this was coming, but it was still a major wow. Let me just say that Lysa Arryn was asking to be pushed out of that moon door. I mean, if you thought that Joffrey was crazy it was only because you hadn't meet Lysa Arryn yet. And this episode was not a disappointment. What I appreciated about this was that it was exactly the way it was in the books, right down to the last line: "I’ve only loved one woman, I promise you. Your sister". That's a great thing to say to someone when you're murdering them; that's a real burn. It's very maniacal. Anyway, I was just in love with this entire scene, from the snow Winterfell to the moon door. Like I've said before, Sansa's story is so fascinating to me, so I'm glad they're doing a good job with it. I especially liked the weirdness between Littlefinger and Sansa; the actor who plays Littlefinger is doing a great job being equal measures avuncular and creeper with a mustache.

Oberyn Meets Tyrion - I loved this scene in the books and I certainly loved it in the show (plus, any scene with Oberyn is made better by his presence). I think Oberyn's story of Tyrion as a baby says a lot about Tyrion's life and his relationships with those around him. I also think it's so cool that Oberyn can empathize with Tyrion even though Tyrion is his enemy. Plus, they really did a good job of setting up Tyrion's mini-arc in this episode, first he gets turned down, then he gets turned down again, then, finally, someone takes a chance on him. More about that later.

Don't Give Up on the Gravy - I loved this scene between Brienne and Hot Pies! It was so cute! I love Hot Pie's soliloquy on gravy and kidney pie. I thought it was very apt as well, because as lot of people in Westeros give up on gravy, but Brienne certainly isn't one of them. Also, I thought it was great that they brought the wolf bread back; it was such a sweet touch.

Dany's Belly Button - This is a small thing, but whoever designs Dany's dresses really knocked it out of the park this week. I really despised that blue dress that she wore for the entirety of season 3, so it's nice to see her wearing something pretty. Also, there was a big fuss on the internet about her belly button being exposed, so I guess that's part of it too. Besides that, I have to say that Dany had a very interesting episode. I can't say that I approve of the Dany/Daario relationship (he's just totally untrustworthy), either in the books or in the show, but it does make for interesting television. Anyway, I thought it was a gorgeous outfit.

Least Favorite Moments:

The Mountain - I'm not a fan of Game of Throne's interpretation of the mountain. I mean, it was almost cartoonish. Like, he looks plenty imposing, but it's all gore and brawn. If we were supposed to hate/be terrified of every character on this show who brutally murdered people, we would be left with like one person. Also, the gore didn't even make sense in this scene! What was going on here? Who was he killing? Was he executing prisoners? Was he 'dueling'? Was he training? How is it training to kill skinny, peasant guys who don't even know how to hold a sword? The whole thing was ridiculous. In the books, there's more of a The-Mountain-is-a-Psycho sort of vibe. We don't get psycho here, because, in this universe, even little girls are killing people. The mountain needed to be more Vlad the Impaler and less the Incredible Hulk.

Lord Snow - It's not that I don't like Jon Snow, it's just that there are some serious pacing issues going on at the wall. I mean, the scene this week was good, but nothing really happened. Actually, nothing has happened since episode one. All that time doing nothing at the wall could have been spent on any number of other plots, so that irritates me.

The Red Woman - I'm going to be perfectly frank. I've never liked the Red Woman, I'm not interested in the Red Woman, and I'm not likely to become interested in her, but this scene was especially weird. First of all, why was she naked? There was absolutely no need for it. Second of all, why does Selyse choose this moment to become jealous of Stannis and Melisandre? Selyse and Melisandre have such a weird relationship because sometimes Selyse is just like 'help yourself to my husband' and some times she just gets really snippy about the whole my-husband-is-cheating-on-me-with-an-evil-witch-priestess thing. I don't remember this being so blahhhhhh in the books. The producers need to clean that up!

Brienne is Being Stupid - If Brienne and Pod have been on the road for weeks and Brienne has been telling everyone about Sansa that entire time, they probably have a whole slew of weirdos and other undesirables following them. Pod shouldn't have to warn her about that. Also, I'm shocked that Brienne and Pod are just now having the Sansa-is-related-to-Lysa talk. What have they been doing all this time? Are they just wandering around? Do they expect to find Sansa by the roadside? Silly, silly Brienne.

Things I'm Looking Forward To: 

The Mountain vs. The Red Viper - This is going to be the smack down of the series. Brains vs. brawn; brute force vs. burning vengeance. Even though I know how it ends, I am so, so excited!

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review