Game of Thrones Review: Season 6 Episode 1

Man, I did not remember how much I missed Game of Thrones. It's like I was starving and I didn't even realize how hungry I was until I started to watch this episode. Game of Thrones is just so satiating; it's like eating a nice big piece of cheesecake, except, after one piece of cheesecake I'm normally full, and I'm never full of Game of Thrones. Let's break it down:

Favorite Moments:

A Place By My Hearth: I'm all about the Sansa/ Brienne tag team. I'm just shipping them so hard right now; they're going to be a great team. I loved the oaths they said to each other and I loved that Sansa couldn't quite remember the words and Pod (the real MVP) had to help her. It was just great acting and a really well thought out scene.

I'd Like Some Mutton: I feel like Ser Davos is one of the most underrated characters in the show, and I just love him. He's one of the most pragmatic characters in the show and he has great, dry one-liners. I feel like he and Pod are going to be the real MVPs this season.

The Things Jaime Does for Love: Jaime and Cersei had a really great, compelling scene this episode and I just loved it to pieces. Cersei's story about seeing her mother's dead body and her genuine love for her daughter and how "good" and perfect she was are just really heartbreaking and moving. Like, I thought I could never feel bad for Cersei, but I've been proven wrong. Also, I'm loving watching Jaime's transformations. First, he was pushing people out of windows, then he was an actually nice guy, and now he's back to being no nonsense. Another review I saw pointed out that his line about the two of them being the only people that mattered was very similar to his line in the first episode: "the things I do for love." Honestly, I don't know which Jaime we're going to see next; is he still human and sensitive, or is he back to pushing people out of windows and taking names?

Feed Her to the Dogs: Ramsay is just such a good villain. I loved that he had an *almost* sweet moment talking about Miranda, who he...loved? It was almost as if he was experiencing real emotions. Well, until he ordered her body to be feed to the dogs. That sounds like the Ramsay I know and love.

The Red Old Woman: Well, I thought the Red Woman was hiding something. I didn't think she was hiding that she was secretly one thousand and two! Well, I guess her jewelry choices are finally explained. Also, the mirror device was really cool; it was super visually interesting. I'm curious to see why they revealed that and what plot purpose it's going to serve. (Also, I think the episode title should have been the Old Woman instead of the Red Woman).

His Valyrian is Terrible: I'm always down for a good Tyrion and Varys scene, even if they're just aimlessly wandering around the city. I especially liked Varys' comment that Tyrion "walks like a rich person." Plus, Tyrion accidentally telling the woman he wanted to eat her baby was a gem. On a side note, if things are so bad in your city that there are babies on sale for lunch, you know it's just about time to elect a new city council or something -- I suppose that's where Tyrion comes in.

Margaery Looks Pretty Good: I would just like to note that Margaery looks really good for someone who's been chilling in prison for all this time. I don't know how she's keeping up with her beauty routine, but props to her -- she was having a surprisingly good hair day.

Vaes Dothrak and Chill?:
I'm curious to see where Daenerys' plot line is going this season. I would like her to be back in Meereen, but, on the other hand, the Dothraki are always fun. They're very violent and crude and sexist, but also very funny. I do find it very convenient that they believed that she was Khal Drogo's widow so quickly and I find it unpardonably convenient that Jorah and Daario were able to find her ring so easily. However, all in all, I'm really pumped about her story line. It is known.

Least Favorite Moments:

The Blind Girl: I know that I sound like a broken record, but I'm so tired of Arya's story line. I mean, they did a good job with the makeup making her look actually blind, but that was about it. I'm so tired of the weird, cryptic statements about being no one or being someone or being any one. And I'm so tired of the snarky girl from the House of Black and White who is mean to Arya for no reason whatsoever. None of it makes any sense to me, and I don't see how it matters to the larger story line. So, either connect Arya to a plot that matters or stop wasting five minutes every episode showing her.

What Happens in Dorne Should Stay in Dorne: Similarly, I'm so done with the Dorne story line. I feel like that plot had so much potential, and it has been criminally mishandled. The assassination scene was just weird and awkward. Like, who murders someone in front of twenty people? Were none of those guards loyal to Doran? I feel like we have no evidence that Doran was unpopular enough that he could be murdered so easily. Also, which boat is Prince Tristan on? How did the Sand Snakes get to him to murder him? It's just so un-compelling.

A Thorn in my Side: Alliser Thorne annoys me to death. Why can't anyone in the Night's Watch understand that the Wildlings are not the real enemies in this situation? It's like they're purposefully idiotic. I know it's his character's job to be frustrating, but still.

Where Did the Dogs Go?: Did anyone else notice that the blood hounds disappeared as soon as Brienne and the soldiers started fighting? Where did they go? They're supposed to be vicious; I'd imagine they'd enjoy the fight. Also, couldn't they have picked scarier looking dogs? Theon is talking about how the dogs are worse than freezing to death in the river and then they're like chubby little basset hounds with droopy ears. Were there no rottweilers available?

Things I'm Looking Forward To:

Sam the Slayer: I think everyone is pretty well aware of my love for Samwell Tarly at this point. I really hope  we find out what he and Gilly are up to in the next episode!

The Two Tallest Women in Westeros: Like I said before, I'm really liking this plot line with Sansa and Brienne. I'm also really excited that they're heading towards the wall. Who knows, we might have an actual Stark reunion before long.

The Return of the Grey Worm: Grey Worm and Missandei are two of my favorite characters in Game of Thrones, so I really hope they step up this season. I'm looking forward to seeing them chilling with  Tyrion and ruling the city.

The Return of Dragons: I guess there wasn't enough in the special effects budget to have a dragon in this episode, but I hope we get to see one before too long.

Valar dohaeris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review