Review: Locke & Key Season 2, Episode 10: Cliffhanger

Now THAT was an excellent finale.  

We got a little bit of everything in this episode: drama, emotion, and action. It felt very satisfying and balanced; I think this was an excellent piece of television writing.

First of all, I have to say BRAVO to the Locke kids for defeating Gabe/Dodge. Their plan of attack was very clever and it was fairly well executed too. Obviously they made some mistakes (like letting the shadow crown go into the ocean and all that jazz), but overall I was impressed.  That whole fight sequence was EPIC. I especially enjoyed the moment that Kinsey jumped off the balcony and then came up with her big, fluffy wings. If I had to have one of the Locke's keys, that would be the key I would choose. Those wings looked fantastic (and I bet it's really fun to fly around when you're not fighting for your life!).

Obviously I'm glad that they defeated Gabe, but I'm also glad that the show introduced a new villain right away. I have a feeling that Captain Gideon is going to make Gabe look like Barney. So, it should be excellent television, right? At least the Lockes have all the keys now and have some experience with defeating demons. Also, they no longer have to worry about Eden, right? Hooray! 

Honestly though, I'm kind of sad that Eden is dead. I enjoyed having her villainy in season two. She had a unique brand of selfishness and obnoxiousness that was very entertaining. 

On the other hand, I am glad to see Ellie back! Hopefully she can recover from her ordeal and get back to her normal life. Plus, it's always nice to have someone around who knows about magic. I was also glad that she got to actually say goodbye to Lucas, the real, non-evil Lucas. I'm guessing that his echo went away since we didn't see him for the rest of the episode. To me, it doesn't feel right to have a "good" echo wandering around. Although, he might be useful. 

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next season. When the nostalgic music started playing, I started to think that this episode might be the end of the show (despite the fact that the episode is literally called Cliffhanger). However, I've done some googling, and I can confirm that the show IS coming back. 

That being said, I do wonder if Tyler is coming back to the show. Even though they said he was only traveling over winter break, they made it seem like he's never coming back to the show. I could easily imagine that he's in college during the next season, and we don't really get to see him. That would be disappointing because I do feel like Tyler rounds out the show well. Of the three siblings, he often seems like the most logical, responsible one. To be fair, Nina and Duncan both know about magic now, so hopefully they can be the adults in the room going forward. Anyway, I can't wait until season three! Until next time. 

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 21: When the Levee Breaks